GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

fewer points in saved track vs ACTIVE LOG

Started by psychoclime, March 08, 2010, 06:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychoclime

On recent trip I had turned on track log, created averaged waypoints at 2 nearby locations & couldn't save log as I had 20 logs already, turned off logging & the etrex vista HCx. Came home, copied everything over to home computer, then deleted a couple old tracks. I then saved the current log & deleted the active log & again transferred everything to computer.
The 'saved' track log had far fewer points than the active log of the same period of time.

So, I tried a test at home in my back yard, doing much the same thing, turn on GPSr, after it got satellites, clear track log, turn on logging, walk around a bit, get 2 averaged waypoints fairly nearby, turned off logging, saved track log, came inside & connected to computer & transferred data to mapsource - this time not deleting the active log. The active log contains 1322 points & saved log has 28.

I noticed after looking at <http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,674.0.html> that the saved log had leg time leg speed & time stripped. I gather from that link that reduced points in saved track log is normal???
I had it set at 'record method' Time, every second.

Is there some setting to make it save all the points in saved logs as in active log?

I now see a file on the SD chip 20100308.gpx that opened in mapsource has 1322 points & looks like the active log --- or is that the saved track log but with all the points? It has name of 'ACTIVE LOG154034'
(I don't think I had it logging to data card on the first track)

Seldom

The active log is saved as a date named file once a day.

-Oz-

It is normal for the saved track to be much smaller.

And as seldom said the active track is for the entire day.  the 20100308.gpx is the entire active log for the 8th of March
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

psychoclime

Quote from: -Oz- on March 08, 2010, 09:31:48 PM
It is normal for the saved track to be much smaller.

And as seldom said the active track is for the entire day.  the 20100308.gpx is the entire active log for the 8th of March

When I save the track log to SD chip, does it get the name I give it?
No, not in the SD chip. There's a track log by that name that appears to be only stored in memory of etrex

If I look at the SD chip in card reader there's a file 20100308.gpx, which when I open in mapsource it has 3 "files/entries" - ACTIVE LOG154016 - 1 point, ACTIVE LOG154016 001 - 16 pts, ACTIVE LOG154034 - 1322 pts (all have same date) [I was trying to simplify things in original post]. My test at home was done on 3/8/10 & that's all I did that day.

So I did another test today.
test today: turn on etrex vista HCx, after it's gotten sattelites, goto tracks > setup, clear ACTIVE LOG, turn on track logging, get avg'd waypoint, walk around for a bit, save track log, move it a bit, take another avg'd waypoint, walk around a bit with it, save another track log , turn off track logging, clear ACTIVE LOG, turn off gpsr.
bring it inside to computer, turn on, transfer everything, goto setup > interface > connect
I now have 2 track logs w/ 33 & 21 points respectively
If I look at SD chip  I now have 2 files in SD chip - 20100308.gpx & 20100309.gpx. Open 20100309.gpx in mapsource & I have following entries listed under tracks tab:
ACTIVE LOG135026 - 612 pts
ACTIVE LOG140115 - 21 pts
ACTIVE LOG140140 - 822 pts
ACTIVE LOG141609 - 5 pts

So it looks to me as tho the two larger entries correspond, roughly, to the 2 saved track logs, where the first shows where I walked down to stream & the other not; and the 2 smaller entries were bits of logging while I was saving, turn off logging etc. Aside from walk to stream, both logs were done in same area so it's not provable that the 2 longer entries are related perfectly or imperfectly to the 2 track logs, or what the 21 pt entry is.

maps4gps

The two .gpx files are named by date (year, month, day).
Within a .gpx log file, the active logs are given the time (hr, min, sec?) the log began.  Every time you turn on the GPSr during a day, a new active log is initiated with that days .gpx file.

I believe your unit is using local time (as does my 76csx).  My OR300 seems to use universal time, so there is a 7 hour time difference on that unit; just to make this not straight foreward.

psychoclime

Quote from: maps4gps on March 10, 2010, 07:31:31 AM
The two .gpx files are named by date (year, month, day).
Within a .gpx log file, the active logs are given the time (hr, min, sec?) the log began.  Every time you turn on the GPSr during a day, a new active log is initiated with that days .gpx file.

I believe your unit is using local time (as does my 76csx).  My OR300 seems to use universal time, so there is a 7 hour time difference on that unit; just to make this not straight foreward.

I was wondering how those files were named. However, once I started the test, I did not turn the unit off, so the two large entries at least were from one instance of having the unit on. As I can't get any satellites under the metal roof of the house, I turn the satellites off inside so it wouldn't be tracking anything in the house and tracking was off after I did the two segments of the test.