GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo Process Program (BETA!)

Started by -Oz-, December 14, 2008, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

Development of this software has ceased. Feel free to follow the create a map tutorial.

I have been working on a tool that helps me create maps faster than the tutorial I wrote.  This tool is definitely not ready for full prime-time use but can be used by many people.

Features:

• Transportation - Download and process the 2009 Census data automatically (2009 data downloaded added in v1.0.21)
  • Contours - uses fw-tools to process the contours; also uses postgis; this is free and easy (GeoTiff Files Required)
  • GNIS - points of interest; just like the program gnis_process; works until the usgs changes the file names
  • water data - automatic parsing of the water data, read the directions in gray for how the folder needs to be organized
  • Forest Service - VERY VERY BETA; I wouldn't use it (i do but in debug mode)
  • to .img - just point it to the folder with the .mp files and it'll convert them all to .img
Requires:
- VB6 runtime files (if you have an error download these files and run vb6-support-Install.bat (need to run as an administrator in vista)
- Windows XP/Vista
- PostGIS (and make sure it works on vista, on my two vista computers postgis is failing)
- FWTools
- cgpsmapper

Known bugs:
- Inability to handle some encoding of GNIS files
- PostGIS failures in Vista (fix available in this forum)
- Forest Service processing very confusing

Possible bug:
- May not work with password protected postgresql databases

With all that said: feel free to try it out.  I'd highly recommend using it in place of dem2topo since the runtime files are hard to come by.

With that said, the current version is attached.
BETA: 1.0.21
Released: 8 Feb 09, 20:02 Alaska Time
Download: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tools/topo_process.zip

Installation:
Just put all the files in the zip file in one directory; don't edit them; run topo_process.exe
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

New version with some random bug fixes.

Also, see http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,101.0.html for a version of pgsql2shp that works on vista.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

new version added the ability to download the 2008 roads data.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Just thought I would let you know. Using the previous version when running the transportation it ran all counties in the state. The new version only ran 1 county, I did it several times and the same results.
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

what state because I just did Arizona and Mississippi and it downloaded all the counties.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Washington. One other thing I noticed is that when you process the transport data in map edit, one checks from field then you do not have the MP_type option as I did when I manually did everything. What would be the field to select then?
Cheers-Marc

deepspace

Hmmmm, for some reason it does not have any of those either, my field set options are:
STATEFP,COUNTYFP,COUNTYYNS,TLID,TFIDL,TFIDR,MTFCC,FULLNAME,SMD,LFROMADD,LTOGDD,FRROMADD,
and a few at the end of the string which look to be associated with rail and such.
Thanks-

deepspace

there are numbers in series but not the hex numbers you refer to. example of numbers on 1 line going from left to right:
STATEFP=53, COUNTYTP=001, TLID=181850066, TFIDL=206369161, TFIDR=206369159, MTFCC=S1500.
I re-opened the one that I did manually and it looks right.

-Oz-

When you refer to manually did you click each button (the three) in order?  I normally just use the all at once button.

I just checked one I did for Mississippi last night and the furthest column to the right was the MP_TYPE column.  I'll check washington out for you now.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

I just did an all at once with Washington and also had MP_Type as my last column.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Merry Christmas everyone.
Oz, I did them one at a time, Maybe that is the error, I will run again combine at once.
I used county once and by name another time different results as you would expect.
Newest query
I ran the water body program and only ended up with prj files (area, flowline and waterbody) did not end up with either shp files nor dbf.
I did it twice with both versions same thing.
I did end up with a error txt which read:
C:\washington\water\NHDWaterbody.shp: shape (.shp) or index files (.shx) can not be opened, will just import attribute data.
C:\washington\water\NHDWaterbody.shp: dbf file (.dbf) can not be opened.
Feel like I am being a pain the rear for asking for so much help.
Cheers-Marc

shutle64

Are you guys working on Washington State 24k?  I just started downloading dem data yesterday.  Can someone verify no dem data for North of Cape Flattery, correct?

John

deepspace

Oz, here is a interesting tidbit
I previously (last post) mentioned when I did all the water all I got was a prj file. When I just ran the transportation download, combine and process at once I ended up again with just a prj file in the transport folder. So then I downloaded, and then combined, checked folder all-lines.shp and the rest are there.
Then
I process the files (Postgis) and end up with a empty folder except a prj file. My paths all look correct.
Any ideas? I could just run them the other way as place on the tutorials.
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

Marc: do you have a password on your database or did you do that trust thing?

That error on water sounds like the shp files don't exist where its looking for them.

I would like to know whats wrong because I sit here running it all day.  It definitely DOESN'T work if you have a password for postgis though and I haven't experimented to figure out why.  I'm currently have my computer process a lot of contours while the other one downloads the new transportation data so I can update my previously released maps.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

what settings are you using on water? (checkboxes)
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!