GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

What Are The Changes In GPS III

Started by alpine, February 18, 2010, 03:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpine

Anybody know what changes are in store in 2011 when GPS III takes effect?

Here is some of what I've found:
QuoteThe GPS III program objective is to develop and deploy an improved systems architecture for the NAVSTAR Global Positioning System (GPS) to assure reliable and secure delivery of enhanced position, velocity, and timing (PVT) signals for the evolving needs of GPS civil and military users. GPS III eliminates numerous existing shortcomings and vulnerabilities inherent in the current GPS architecture that threaten to severely impact vital civil commerce, transportation, public safety, as well as military operations in the future.

GPS III enhances U.S. leadership in space-based navigation by meeting the stated Presidential goal of establishing GPS as a world standard. GPS III supports the Federal Radionavigation Plan and will be fully interoperable with all current global radionavigation systems. The GPS III system also incorporates the Nuclear Detonation Detection System (NDS) and provides a potential platform for supporting additional synergistic payloads and services. The Government intends to use an evolutionary development approach. This approach includes using a modular open systems architecture, standard interfaces and protocols, and continuous technology refresh, to incrementally improve system capabilities with a low risk of GPS service interruption.

The next-generation GPS III system is expected to have about 500 times the transmitter power of the current system, multiplying its resistance to jamming. With a constellation of 30-32 satellites, GPS III will have Second and Third Frequencies to contain civilian signal, (L2 = 1227.60 MHz) & (L5 = 1176.45 MHz), more robust signal transmissions, and provide real-time unaugmented 1 meter accuracy.

I see completion dates of 2011, and also 2013. But with government involved can you really trust those dates?

Just think one meter accuracy!

Jimbob

Latest word is a 2014 launch with the distinct possibility of dropping to as few as 24 sats in the interim as the old birds fall out of orbit. Lots of conflicting news out there but the present administration has cancelled loran as any kind of backup, yet it seems that funding may also be a problem. Another problem arises in that even if enough new birds are launched older birds may not have enough capability plus ground stations may also not yet be modernized. Could well turn out to be another gov't boon doggle mess. From what I read I can only guess any real changes are far in the future at this point as there is not even a schedule to replace IIF sats.