News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New Garmin Maps

Started by zeak.smith, February 23, 2010, 09:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeak.smith

Hi all,

I live in a small island country that does not have any Garmin or another type of commercial maps. the island I am on is  part of the Garmin global map but it is very wrong.

I have managed to go get all the raw data from the department of lands, but they do not know what to do with it does.

so what I have is this;

DXF files of different layers i.e. contours, roads, waterways

and I also have MapInfo files that is a collection of DAT, MAP, TAB and MapInfo Table Files

I am very computer savvy but new to mapping, I would like to know how to turn these into a map that  I can use on my Oregon 550 and Garmin Basecamp.

I am currently using raster overlays but I would very much like to change to the vector data

any help in the right direction would be much appreciated

Best Regards
Zeak

zeak.smith

Hi,

please excuse my ignorance, I have Global mapper but I was more looking for a tutorial or information on how to turn my data in a Garmin basemap to replace the crappy one that come pre installed.

if that is possible in Global mapper could you please point me in the direction of a tutorial or reference information?

Until you asked I had never heard of sawanobori, our company does a few thing abseiling, underwater walk, teambuilding and now events.

we are holding the first Vanuatu Adventure Race, hence the new interest in mapping. It will be a very important part of the race planning and to the competitors in the race so I am learning as much and as fast as I can.

Best Regards
Zeak

zeak.smith

Hi

I should also point out that am also running a copy of MapInfo Professional 10

zeak

maps4gps

The cgpsmapper.com website has a manual on using cgpsmapper (which you will use to convert the data to .img files to use on the GPSr.  They also have a getting started with GlobalMapper manual.  http://www.cgpsmapper.com/manual.htm
You can use GM to process the 'raw' GIS/dxf files and output as .mp files.  cgpsmapper will then use the .mp files and create .img files.  Use MapSetToolKit to built a mapset to install into MapSource.  Also see some of the tutorials on this website.

zeak.smith

Hi Maps4gps,

thanks very much thats is just what i wanted to know

zeak