News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question about custom typ and gps units

Started by freecat, February 24, 2010, 06:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freecat

Hi all
I am finally getting far enough along with my county map project to start making my custom types for it. I made a bordered 3 pixel purple line for one trail type as a test. I have been able to load  them into mapedit and installed them into mapsource. Every thing looks good up to this point but when i load the map into my gps the purple line is now blue  ???  My guess is the GPS unit (etrex venture HC ) has a limited pallet of colors to work with. So I have two questions.

1-where can i find a copy of the most basic pallet that garmin gps uses.

2- Is it a good idea to use custom types this way in a map that other folks will be using. I am going to use them in a printed version and on my own GPS but was wondering if it will cause end-users problems with mapsource or their GPS.

Thanks
Freecat

maps4gps

Correct, the Garmin color pallet is limited.  I have not seen a list of which color codes are 'valid' - it seams to use the 'nearest' valid color.
I have read that the older units do not support custom types, however, I have never received clarification of which units these might be and what the effect is of trying to use a mapset with custom types on one of these units.

freecat

I found some information about garmin color pallets here

http://www.cgpsmapper.com/download/Creating%20custom%20types%20to%20represent%20elevation%20data.pdf

It includes a screen shot of a garmin 60csx pallet and it look like the same colors my gps is using so its a starting point for my custom type colors. I'll post my results when I get a chance to try it out.
Freecat

eaparks

Here are some RGB codes that look good on Garmins: Etrex Vista HCX, 60CSx, 76CSx, Oregon, and Colorado.