GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Purchasing a new Garmin eTrex Legend CX

Started by jpr28x, February 18, 2010, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpr28x

I am about to purchase one of these, refurbished on ebay. Comes with all the basic software I believe

I know it is out of production now.

Will I still be able to use these maps?

I know of a few places to get some mapsource files for free, will I be able to use these.

How do I begin to do that?

Will Garmin give me any help, since I didn't buy it from them?

jpr28x

I am about to purchase one of these new (refurbished), on ebay.

Comes with everything what I can tell.

I don't know much about gps tho.

120 seems like a good deal.

Will I be able to get the software I need (cheaply), since its out of production?

Are these good recievers? is it worth it?

any other advice?

THANKS!!

Indrid Cold

For Jedediah Smith Park in Redwood National Park you will want a high sensitivity receiver such as the Legend HCx. The Legend Cx will most likely work poorly with that sort of canopy.

topics merged.

jpr28x

Thanks a bunch. sorry about the 2 topics.

I am learning extremely fast... Some of the posts Imade even 2 hours ago seem very stupid now.

I am going to get the HCx I believe. Seems like a good idea.

Can most of the homemade maps on here use the advanced features such a routes and what not? Can I put routes into them?

Or do they just show me where I am on the map?

THANKS!

-Oz-

You can use any of the maps here except the "Garmin Custom Maps" which are imagery.  Most of the topo maps are garmin compatible maps and will work great with that unit.

Definitely get the HCx, worth every extra penny.

They will show you where you are and how to get to a point in a straight line; or you can make a route on your computer and load it up then follow the waypoints.

You will likely need to get mapsource and since it may not be included with the unit follow this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!