GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Hunting maps & overlays

Started by windedbowhunter, February 23, 2010, 01:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windedbowhunter

I am new to the GPS world, I am looking for some recommendations on use of maps and overlays.

What would be some of the better 1:24 topo maps & overlays with topo data, trails, maybe roads for driving from the airport to the trailhead? The states that I am most interested in are Colorado, Idaho and Montana, which will be primarily used for hunting.

I am not sure which is more accurate and useful the "state" topo or the US Planimetric version.

My devices for this use are the 60CSx and  Rhino 530 HCx.

Thanks in advance!

maps4gps

The Planimetric mapset(s) do not have contour lines.
The topo maps for those three States were done by different mapauthors.  The road data may or may not have been updated to 2009 data.
There is no national source for good trail data.  How detailed/usefull it may be for a particular State depends on what info the mapauthor may have been able to find for a State.

-Oz-

Colorado and Idaho topo maps use the 2008 roads so check it for the area you want to go to.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

windedbowhunter

Thanks for the information guys!  With this information, what map or maps would you use? The 1:24 topo maps & overlays with topo data is most important to me. The others are just features.

-Oz-

i would load all the maps for the area onto a 2gb chip and then switch as needed.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!