GPSFileDepot.com

Map loading problems (Arcmap > GPSMapEdit > MapsetToolkit > Mapsource > etrex)

Started by Bosque, February 22, 2010, 10:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosque

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get some map data loaded onto my etrex legend hcx, and running into issues (like it not working).

I took an ESRI shapefile, and re-projected it from state plane to WGS84 lat long in Arcmap.  Then I imported that shapefile into GPSMapEdit, and exported it to Garmin IMG format.

After that I followed the "How To Load .img Files Into MapSource With MapSetToolkit" tutorial, and then it displays fine in Mapsource, but when I transfer the map to the gps I get nothing, and it just shows an unchecked box when I go to "Setup Map", with no text to the right of it, and the gps hangs, which sometimes needs to be power cycled, and sometimes by hitting random combos of left right and enter on the stick it'll move to another option.

I've attached a screenshot of the options I have selected for MapsetToolkit.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Bosque

Ah.  Seems like it works fine if I take the time to fill out the Map Properties in GPSMapEdit.

Now I can go back to wishing there was just an export function straight out of Arc, and while I'm at it that monkeys could fly.

Boyd

IF you don't need to use the map in Mapsource, you can make things a little easier. Download the free sendmap20 program from the cgpsmapper site. Start that program up and just drag all your .img files into its window. You can either send them directly to the GPS or create a GMAPSUPP.IMG file on your computer.