Started by astainback, February 22, 2010, 08:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astainback

I have tried and tried.
I have failed.
I need a dummy book or something.
Here is my situation.

I have some tracks and waypoints.
Two friends sent them to me.  Tons of them.
I took the tracks into MapSource and cleaned them up.  I joined a lot of the smaller ones, cleaned out some of the duplicates.  
So now, I have a gpx file and a gdb file with tracks and waypoints that i want to convert to a transparent map to load into my Gamin 60CSx.  One of my friends also has a Garmin, and the other has a Magellan.
I downloaded GPS MapEdit and I can't get the map to work right.  I must be an idiot.
Today, I found out about some software called Mapwel.
It seems easier to use, but I don't know how to export the map to a file.  I don't want to load it yet.

Is there a guide for extreme dummies, or has anyone else gone through this and knows what might be confusing me?  It seems easy compared to what some of you guys do with mapping software, so there has to be some way to do this simply.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sympathy cards accepted.  Just kidding.

Thanks guys,
Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Seldom

There should really be a tutorial on this, but what follows might get you started with MapEdit.  This shows my MapEdit ignorance, so maybe one of the wizards out there will add some refinements.

1) Open MapEdit.
2) Open your GPX files in MapEdit.
3) Select the arrow tool from the toolbar, or type "s".
4) With the arrow tool selected, select all of your GPX tracks.  They will turn magenta.
5) Right-Click on one of the magenta tracks and select "Convert to Polyline."
6) Saveas MP.
7) Select File|Map Properties| Levels
8) Click the "Insert Before" button.  That will give you two levels.
9) Select all the polylines with the arrow tool.
10) Right click on one and choose "Modify|Extend all elements up to a level".
11) Fill in 1 in the dialog box, if you want to see it above Level 0.  To do this you will need to add a third level.

If you want to use your map as a transparent overlay on a topo, go back to Map Properties|cGPSmapper, and select "map is transparent".

Boyd

It should be pretty easy with Mapwel. The basic version cannot save .img files to your computer. It is tied to a single GPS when you register the program and can only upload files directly to that GPS.

The advanced version can save .img files directly to your computer as well as sending to any GPS. But you have to purchase this version before you can do this.

astainback

So the free version of Mapwel cannot send anything to your GPS?
$45 isn't too bad, but I think MapEdit is worth learning for the saving!
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

Quote from: seldom_sn on February 23, 2010, 03:57:40 AM
There should really be a tutorial on this, but what follows might get you started with MapEdit.  This shows my MapEdit ignorance, so maybe one of the wizards out there will add some refinements.

1) Open MapEdit.
2) Open your GPX files in MapEdit.
3) Select the arrow tool from the toolbar, or type "s".
4) With the arrow tool selected, select all of your GPX tracks.  They will turn magenta.
5) Right-Click on one of the magenta tracks and select "Convert to Polyline."
6) Saveas MP.
7) Select File|Map Properties| Levels
8) Click the "Insert Before" button.  That will give you two levels.
9) Select all the polylines with the arrow tool.
10) Right click on one and choose "Modify|Extend all elements up to a level".
11) Fill in 1 in the dialog box, if you want to see it above Level 0.  To do this you will need to add a third level.

If you want to use your map as a transparent overlay on a topo, go back to Map Properties|cGPSmapper, and select "map is transparent".

What I have tried in the past vs. your instructions.. and thanks for the instructions!!  I will try this tonight if I can.

1.  done
2.  opened
3.  selected it
4.  all tracks selected (i also have waypoints mixed in, is that an issue?)
5.  I did this step (convert to polylines) because I tried following a tutorial and this was part of it.  So, this one was done too.
6.  save as mp - I might have done this.  If it was in the tutorial, I am sure I did.
7.  from this point on, I am not sure.
8.  see 7
9.  see 7
10.  see 7
11.  see 7

I did select transparent.
I actually got to the part where I had an img file.  I tried loading it into MapSource so I could see it.  I forgot the name of the program I used, but that part worked for me.
The map was in MapSource, but it was hard to see, and there were no waypoints.  (i think)

Thank you for the help, and I will try this stuff tonight.
Maybe with your instructions, and some more that someone PM'd me, I will be able to make a dummy guide for myself, and if I do that, I will post it up.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in some tracks of ATV trails in WV, let me know.

Thanks,
Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Boyd

Actually this program would probably do just what you want with only a few clicks but it's still in beta. You could contact the author and see if he will send you a copy though: http://www.gpx2img.com/

Boyd

FYI, there really isn't a "free version of Mapwel". You can download the program and everything will work on your computer without paying anything. However, when you send the map to your GPS it will strip out some of the details which makes it pretty useless.

So you really need to purchase either the basic or advanced version to do any "real" work.

astainback

Quote from: Boyd on February 23, 2010, 10:59:19 AM
FYI, there really isn't a "free version of Mapwel". You can download the program and everything will work on your computer without paying anything. However, when you send the map to your GPS it will strip out some of the details which makes it pretty useless.

So you really need to purchase either the basic or advanced version to do any "real" work.

Gotcha.
When I read the info on their site, I read it as Mapwel will add a tag that says it was made with Mapwel, or something of that nature.
I didn't know it would strip out anything.
Thanks!
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

Quote from: Boyd on February 23, 2010, 10:57:48 AM
Actually this program would probably do just what you want with only a few clicks but it's still in beta. You could contact the author and see if he will send you a copy though: http://www.gpx2img.com/

You are right about this program.
This is exactly what I want!!

I have a question though...

Can Magellan owners load these img files into their GPS units?
I have ONE friend that has a Magellan, and he is the source of a lot of the tracks.
I really want to help him out if I can.

Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Boyd

No, there isn't any compatibility between Garmin and Magellan maps. There are some programs for making your own Magellan maps, but they looked a bit rough around the edges last time I checked. You may be able to share the .gpx files with your Magellan friends though. I don't recall whether Vantagepoint (the Magellan equivalent to Mapsource) can read them.

For help with Magellan mapping, you could visit http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32 (this is for the Triton series). But GPSFileDepot only has maps in Garmin's proprietary format.

astainback

Quote from: Boyd on February 23, 2010, 11:39:07 AM
No, there isn't any compatibility between Garmin and Magellan maps. There are some programs for making your own Magellan maps, but they looked a bit rough around the edges last time I checked. You may be able to share the .gpx files with your Magellan friends though. I don't recall whether Vantagepoint (the Magellan equivalent to Mapsource) can read them.

For help with Magellan mapping, you could visit http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32 (this is for the Triton series). But GPSFileDepot only has maps in Garmin's proprietary format.

Gotcha.
I was just hoping that I could make one that he could load as well.
I know he can send me gpx files, but he can't view the ones that I send him.
I need to revisit this.
If I can't make him a map, maybe his magellan can store and use all the track data.
It is all for ATV riding.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Seldom

If you send him GPX files, he should be able to convert them to something he can use with gpsbabel.

n2stitch

Quote from: astainback on February 23, 2010, 10:26:40 AM

I actually got to the part where I had an img file.  I tried loading it into MapSource so I could see it.  I forgot the name of the program I used, but that part worked for me.
The map was in MapSource, but it was hard to see, and there were no waypoints.  (i think)

In Mapsource, set your detail to highest and zoom in closely on an area where you know you should have data.  Depending on what you set your zoom levels to, the data may be there and just not be displayed.  I just completed a Garmin transparent map based on tracks tonight, but had a heart attack until I remembered to check the detail.  Hope this helps!

Lalita

Jimbob

In your Feb. 23 post you said

In reference to waypoints they will not be part of your .img file. They reside in another portion of memory in your GPSr, and can be altered through mapsource.

Seldom

Quote from: astainback on February 23, 2010, 10:26:40 AM

I didn't include points above, just tracks.  If you want to see points select them with the arrow tool, right click, and Convert to Point.