GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't see map that I just downloaded

Started by brianw7, February 22, 2010, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianw7

I found the .img file and was able to re-name it. Just need to figure out why I can't see the track I drew on the map in mapsource. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

maps4gps

The gmapsupp.img file is in the Garmin folder on either the Oregon's internal memory or the micro memory card if you put one in the Oregon.  Attach the Oregon to the computer using the USB cable which came with the GPSr.  Turn on the Oregon. Use WindowsExplore or whatever program you usually use to see what is in a folder or rename a file.  The internal memory will be assigned a drive letter, the micro memory card will have a different drive letter.

maps4gps

The track is not part of any map being transfered.  It always goes to the units internal memory.  Since I seldom use tracks, I can not say where or how to find it.  Others should be able to be specific on this.

kbellis

Brian - Saved tracks and waypoints can be located on your Oregon under Drive:\Garmin\GPX.

Kelly

kbellis

Quote from: brianw7 on February 23, 2010, 06:56:19 PM
How do I rename it once it's in the 400t? The file that I see in the unit is named ME Trails, the file I overwrote was named MAINE-topo.....where is it named gmapsupp.img?? Thanks.

Just curious... where did you find that map file named ME Trails?

I just tried looking for Maine Trails from trails100. After downloading and installing it - but when I try to view trail100 in MapSource - Zoomed Out to Region - all I see is a pale yellow rectangle with tiny text in the lower right hand corner: Map Created With Http://cgpsmapper.com

maps4gps

For an overlay/transparent mapset, there seems to be no way to have a traditional overview map which MapSource can display.  All that I get, or any others I have seen, are the data quad/tile outlines and the 'created by .... '.  You have to zoom-in for the trails in the data file to be displayed. Most areas do not have many trails on the printed USGS 100k quads, so it is hit-or-miss on what you will find.

kbellis

That explains it - I was zooming in and missing!

Thanks for the note.

Kelly