News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't see map that I just downloaded

Started by brianw7, February 22, 2010, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianw7

Hi,

I have a garmin 400T I just downloaded a 24k topo. When I enable the map on the device and disable the 100k pre-loaded map, when I go back to the map screen it is blank. How do I view my newly downloaded map? What happens if I enable both maps? do they show-up on top of each other? Thanks.

Boyd

Maps have a stacking order, like layers in photoshop. Whichever one has a higher draw priority will cover up the other one. Disable all maps except the one that you want to use.

Are you sure that you're within the coverage area of the map you want to see?

brianw7

How do I know which one has the higher priority? As far as being within the coverage area - do you mean I have to be physically within the border of the map to see it on the unit? If so, that would be my problem - I'm in CT and the map is in ME - I thought if I zoomed out far enough I would be able to see the map, and then zoom in to that area...am I not correct? Thanks for your help.

brianw7

I must be doing something wrong then because the map page is blank after I select the new map. How do I delete this new map and start over? thanks.

maps4gps

Which mapset with a 24k topo  of Maine?  Did you load the entire State or just some smaller area?

Delete the file (named gmapsupp.img if you used MapSource to create it and did not rename it) as you would any other file on a hard drive.  The GPSr and a micro memory card will each have a drive letter.  The file should be a the Garmin folder.  Do not delete any files which came on the GPSr (back them up on you computer's hard drive is case you later need to restore them).

As Boyd mentioned, you can 'pan' over to the area; however, you need have some area of the map centered in the display and be zoomed-in enough for the mapset to be visible.  Maps have a max zoom at which they can be displayed, further out than that, the GPSr's 'base map' will be displayed if it is enabled.

Boyd

There may be some bugginess on the Oregon 400t related to this as well. I have one myself, and sometimes it don't see a loaded map when I first zoom into the area. For example, if I go to a waypoint that I know is inside the area, sometimes I still see a blank map.

If I try this again, usually it works the second time. Haven't quite figured out what the pattern is to this or why it would happen.

Seldom

Once, I had the basemap on my OR300 turned off, when I only meant to turn of the hill shading.  I couldn't find any of my maps then.

Boyd

The 400t doesn't have any option to turn off the basemap (AFAIK). It is not listed in the map info dialog box. I sort of assumed that the US Topo *is* the basemap on this model, but have never really looked into this.

brianw7

I can't seem to get this thing to work at all. Is there a way to delete the map off the unit and try again? thanks.

maps4gps

Quote from: brianw7 on February 23, 2010, 02:58:05 PM
I can't seem to get this thing to work at all. Is there a way to delete the map off the unit and try again? thanks.
See my post from 8PM yesterday - five posts up.

brianw7

I got it to work - I just sent it to the gps again and it started working. Another question - I sent another map to the unit, and now the 1st map I sent is gone...is this normal? you can only have 1 additional map in the unit? Also. I added a track to the map and i cannot see the track - how to you view saved tracks? I did include the track when i sent the map to the gps. Thanks for the help. (i'll get the hang of it soon).

Seldom

When you send a map it is usually called gmapsupp.IMG.  Once you've sent it to your 400T, you can rename it to "somethingmorememorable.IMG".  Then you can send another gmapsupp.IMG without overwriting the first one.  You can do this with many files as long as you rename the gmapsupp.IMG.

Boyd

Just to fully answer your question.... yes, mapsource is designed to erase the existing map(s) in the gps when you send a new one. It will always name the map file gmapsupp.img, and older GPS'es would only recognize a map file of that name.

But the Oregon and other new models don't have that restriction. So use Seldom's trick of changing the map file name after you upload and you can install multiple maps.

brianw7

How do I rename it once it's in the 400t? The file that I see in the unit is named ME Trails, the file I overwrote was named MAINE-topo.....where is it named gmapsupp.img?? Thanks.

Boyd

That is very odd. Are you using Mapsource to send these files? There shouldn't be files with those names on your GPS unless you copied the wrong things there or changed the names. When you use Mapsource, it creates a file named GMAPSUPP.IMG inside the \Garmin folder. The file can be sent to either internal memory or a micro SD card, depending on which you chose in Mapsource.

FWIW, I was just looking at my Oregon 400t and there is no basemap (no GMAPBMAP.IMG file), just the pre-loaded US Topo.

DO NOT mess with the file named GMAPPROM.IMG, that is your US Topo map!