Main Menu

Domo-Kun ate my eTrex

Started by Indrid Cold, February 22, 2010, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

-Oz-

that is snazzy; nice backpack too :)  mine's a bit more digital
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

My original eTrex served me well and traveled with me all over the world in environments as diverse as tropical rain forests to snow fields, blazing hot deserts to old growth forests in mountain terrain, on the ground, in the air and at sea. But they say it's not the age but the miles that take their toll.

After recuperation from a travel related injury that laid me up for almost a year, I finally replaced the `ol yellow eTrex with a Vista HCx.  I looked around for something more heavy duty than the standard Garmin neoprene case and came upon those by Foarm cases from Santa Barbara, CA.

Available through Amazon.com Foarm offers cases for Garmin Colorado, the GPSMAP-76 series and the newer eTrex series.

Form follows function with the Foarm cases, the case opens like a clam shell and fits the GPS tightly like a glove and has a liner to prevent any damage to the GPS during insertion or removal. The case is held closed together with the safety leash. There are small opening for the buttons on the side and the face, and an opening for the screen (included are a pair of clear screen protectors).  The depth of the case makes the buttons recessed, protects from damage and accidental use, but at the same time still allows for easy one handed use. Construction is of a colored textured rubber. The rear of the case has a removable metal clip that works well on a belt, harness or MOLLE system from an assault pack or LBV.

It's not going to work with an auto power unit, and the GPS will have to be removed from the case for battery or data card change and for use with a computer. They're not for everyone but if you would like to up-armor your GPS for field work and have one of the compatible models these are worth the look.

-Oz-

That looks pretty cool; too bad they don't appear to have one for my Dakota.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Quote from: -Oz- on February 27, 2010, 03:00:50 PM
That looks pretty cool; too bad they don't appear to have one for my Dakota.
I'd also like to see an Oregon model with a port for the 550 camera lens. "Squeaky wheel gets the grease", included on the instruction documents is the following POC:

Foarm Inc.
501 East Gutierrez St.
Santa Barbara, Ca. 93103
(805) 962-5553 ext 113
[email protected]