GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map Datum

Started by chaseat99, February 18, 2010, 11:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaseat99

What map datum should  mapsource and my gps for  use with the free maps?  Mapsource is set to WGS84 . I looked at the map packages and did not see this info listed.
The Maps are great. I just bought my Dakota 20 and REI did not have maps in stock. Now I am not sure if I even need to buy them?

Thanks
chase

maps4gps

Most if not all would be in WGS84.  You GPSr will determine it from what is in the mapset files; usually nothing for you to do, nor be concerned about.

-Oz-

Unless you want road navigation these maps will probably work great for you.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

chaseat99

I am a back packer. I mostly use track data or location. Maps are an added feature.  I have a $49 refurb Tom Tom that tells me where to drive. In the past I used Delorme maps on my Windows smart phone for backpacking. The biggest draw back was boot up time, load Windows, load Streets Hand Held, activate gps, wait for a fix. I wanted a stand alone unit that would quickly tell me which fork in the trail to take and the Dakota with its 200 ten K tracks and touch screen is great.