News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Water Data tutorial

Started by Perry, June 08, 2008, 04:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

I read through the Water Data tutorial.

If you happen to get duplicate subbasins in your NHD shapefiles how is that handled?

Thanks for the very helpful site.

Perry

conbillb

Hi. I would like to learn how to use a map60cs to help me in fishing the lakes and rivers around southeast Iowa. I live in Des Moines county in S.E Iowa (Burlington) but when I zoomed in on the map there were no lakes that I could find.  I also didn't find Des Moines County.  I found Lee and Henry and other counties around Burlington though. Can anyone tell me if these maps can be used to get any underwater information on lakes and rivers? Thanks, Bill.

-Oz-

Perry: At this point I don't think anything bad happens.  I believe when the shp files are converted to .mp since the doubleup lines up perfectly it doesn't effect anything.  I will be testing that much more thoroughly today since I have duplicated subbasins in my Mississippi data.

Conbillb: I have yet to find a source that has depths.  The high resolution water data will definitely have all the lakes in the S.E. Iowa area but they may not show up on the map.  You may have to download the data and then zoom in.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

conbillb

Thanks Oz for the reply.  That gives me enough info to try again.  Bill.

Wild Bill

I have not received a reply for any my NHD requests for Western New York state. I have requested multiple subbasins, inividual subbasins, high resolution and medium resolution data with no response. I can get the data to display and the requests end with a popup window saying that an email will be sent with a link to download the request. Any suggestions? 

-Oz-

What is your email address?  Is it possible that the emails are getting flagged as spam?

Also, have you tried again another day? I had a couple times where all my requests for an entire weekend just went into oblivion.

Off topic note: You must disable peer guardian to get the water data; it blocks the NHD server.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Wild Bill

I have submitted multiple requests over the last four weeks. We do have a spam filter, but the filtered emails have to be manually deleted. The only other option I've not tried yet is to use our other computer running XP, all previous requests have been under Vista.

maps4gps

It is a working system use by USGS and State agencies, so our outside requests get low priority.
I have had to waite nearly a week to get those emails.  Sometimes the request buffer hangs; I have had a few come back a month later - long after the rerequest was answeres.  Send them an email about your requests - may be a stuck buffer, or something else on there end.

-Oz-

Quote from: Wild Bill on December 03, 2008, 03:22:43 AM
I have submitted multiple requests over the last four weeks. We do have a spam filter, but the filtered emails have to be manually deleted. The only other option I've not tried yet is to use our other computer running XP, all previous requests have been under Vista.
I would check out what maps4gps said.  Vista versus XP won't matter at all since its just an email.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!