GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Backing up City Nav NT maps and all

Started by ske1eter, July 21, 2012, 06:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ske1eter

I've recently purchased an Oregon 450 and am trying to get used to how it works compared to my old Magellan 330 Map. Wow, what a difference! Some good, some bad.

Anyway, I purchased the City Navigator NT for the lower 49. Using Garmin's Communicator plugin, the map was installed on the spare MicroSD card that I put in the unit. I'm curious what all needs to be copied off the GPSr so that I can have all files necessary to re-install/copy the software back onto the unit should something happen and I lose the contents of the GPSr.

Thanks,

Rick

p.s.- if this has already been discussed please point me to the thread as my search didn't show what I was looking for.

Boyd

It is very simple. Look in the Garmin folder when you GPS is connected to your computer. You will see a three files with names similar to these:

Lower49_2013_10.gma
Lower49_2013_10.img
Lower49_2013_10.unl

The .img file is the map itself and the other two are used for copy protection. These files could also be moved to a memory card (in a Garmin folder) and they will work on your GPS. But due to copy protection, they will not work on any other GPS.

If you like however, you could copy them to a USB flash drive, and when the flash drive is connected to your computer you will be able to use the map in Basecamp without needing to connect the GPS itself.

ske1eter

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Those are the files that I pulled off but just wanted to be sure that there wasn't another critical file buried somewhere else that I might have missed.

Thanks again.

-Rick