GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need maps

Started by DesertCruiser, April 12, 2012, 12:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertCruiser

I'm working on a project for our web site at www.in-the-desert.com some of you may remember me. I need maps that I can display on our site for fishing information, so it would need to have rivers and lakes and maybe just a few major roads. I remember seeing maps here or somewhere that were .img or raster files? This is why I'm asking, not sure about this, except it'd be nice to be able to zoom into them. I'd need them for All of Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and the lower half of California, and the lower half of Utah. I may end up making my own from screen captures, but I'd like this as professional as possible. I'll need to be able to add locations to the map for known fishing locations. Anything come to mind?

Thanks in advance,
Don Gilmore.....
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

Boyd

You can search for raster (.kmz) maps here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/search/garmincustom/

However, you would need permission from the authors of any maps you use, since the maps here are intended to be used by individuals on their GPS units and not for publishing on the web.

Seldom

I looked through the National Map Viewer for jpegs or tiffs that might be easy to edit, and came up empty.  I'm pretty sure you can make something like that from OSM data using JOSM.  I haven't done it myself.  But I've seen an OSM Wiki page documenting it here..

-Oz-

The topo maps have water information, just not bathymetric.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

-Oz- DesertCruiser didn't mention bathymetry, and I don't think he wants a vector map.  He mentioned screenshots so I assumed he wanted to create a raster map that located fishing spots and road access to them.  Another way to do that would be to create an OziExplorer map from NHD shapefiles using GPSmapedit to do the import and export.  Considering your NHD tutorial, and GPSmapedit expertise around here, that might be an easier way to go than the OSM2paper map route I mentioned above.