GPSFileDepot.com

Can you have Multiple Garmin Units with Map Source.....

Started by map_guy, April 13, 2011, 06:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

map_guy

First great site, my 60csx is still in the mail, but I am already learning so much about upgrading the maps. I always had this crazy idea to digitize some historic USGS sites and use them in a GPS, this site may get me there some day.

But first off I am kind of confused if I can use mapsource on the same computer to work with a Nuvi 255wt and a 60csx? I am confused if that is possible with the way Garmin locks the map files.

The idea is to use my nuvi for the car, and the 60csx for touring on my bike, but know out of the box the 60csx doesn't do much for that purpose and I have to download maps but don't want to screw up all the custom waypoints I setup for the nuvi.

Appreciate any helpful hints anyone has......

Seldom

I have an OR300, a Nuvi, and a 60CSX.  I purchased and registered separate copies of CNNANT for each.  I can access either CNNANT  from my MapSource installation, but I can only send CNNANT maps to the GPSr for which they are registered.  MapSource will send any unlocked maps to either device.  

The main reason to use MapSource with a Nuvi is to update maps once a year.  If your Nuvi has a card slot you can send maps to it to overlay.  I've made some transparent TOPO that I overlay on my Nuvi road map.

map_guy

Thanks.....

So are locked maps the ones you buy, and unlocked ones the ones you download for free?

I am guessing then I could create say a route or a waypoint in map source and you can send it to either unit, but it would only let me send update maps to one unit. Pretty sleezy, I can't see paying for the same map update twice, maybe even three times if I had a garmin cycle computer also.

What is the best map to use with the 60csx to use on the bike? idea is to download gpx files from cycling groups and use it to follow bike routes. Would that be the NA map?

Sorry for the questions, trying to figure out what I still need to get to get it all running.

Boyd

Quote from: map_guy on April 13, 2011, 06:10:23 AM
First great site, my 60csx is still in the mail, but I am already learning so much about upgrading the maps. I always had this crazy idea to digitize some historic USGS sites and use them in a GPS, this site may get me there some day.

Not to burst your bubble, but Garmin's "custom map" feature enables you to do exactly this, using scans of USGS maps ("digitizing"). Unfortunately, the 60csx is an older design that doesn't support this kind of map however. But it's still a great GPS - in fact, I've been using mine again last week after it's been sitting on the shelf for a few years (since I got my Oregon).

Waypoints are stored separately from maps, so you will not erase them by sending a new map - just be sure that the waypoints box is NOT checked when you send the map. The map on your Nuvi is locked to that one unit and cannot be used on your 60csx. If you want routable maps, you will need to purchase them for the 60csx, unless the limited functionality and accuracy of the openstreetmap project meets your needs.

maps4gps

Some Garmin products are 'locked' for use on a single GPSr use, others are not.  If you need to use CityNavigator on more than one GPSr, you can purchase it on a micro-memory card; it will be locked to that card and therefore usable in only one GPSr at a time.  You would also not upload other mapsets to that card so if you wanted to display an overlay contour line mapset it would need to go on the GPSr's internal memory - if it had any.  You need to be a little cautious here as there are variations in what can be done with different mapsets and different media (DVD, pre-recorded micro memory card, website download) and different GPSr models.

CN does not have contour lines and the hydro is very general.
Garmin's website will let you look at an area of your choice for many of the products.
The provider of the transportation data is requiring Garmin to have the one unit (card) per purchase.

Some posts I have read by the foot powered bikers indicated that they want as many contour lines as possible to judge ups and downs even when the source data does not support that level of detail and would not be that accurate.

What area?   Try a free map and judge for yourselft if it has what you require for your needs.

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on April 13, 2011, 08:39:57 AM
You would also not upload other mapsets to that card so if you wanted to display an overlay contour line mapset it would need to go on the GPSr's internal memory - if it had any.

That is a very important point. The 60csx has no internal memory for map storage, so if you purchased City Navigator on a memory card, then you would have to physically swap cards to use another map.

QuotePretty sleezy, I can't see paying for the same map update twice, maybe even three times if I had a garmin cycle computer also.

Why is that "sleazy"? This is Garmin's software policy and they make it very clear if you read the information on their site. They license their maps for use on a single GPS only. It's just like buying a computer.... you have to consider the costs of the software along with the hardware. And, of course, if their policy really bothers you then you're free to buy a different brand of GPS... but good luck finding one where the company doesn't copy protect their routable maps/POI database.