GPSFileDepot.com

Can I have more than one CustomMap selection on an OR300?

Started by Seldom, April 07, 2011, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I have two Garmin CustomMap,KMZ files of the same area on my OR300.  One has archaeology, the other has geology.  They both show up on the same button to enable/disable on the OR, and only the geology shows.  Is there any way to make both maps individually selectable, or must I only have one on the OR at a time?

Boyd

Sorry, only one to a customer. This has been a big gripe from Oregon (and other) users since they introduced the format.

Seldom

maps4gps

As Boyd mentioned, all the .kmz files (within the 100 'quad' limit)  will be in one entry and are enabled/disabled as a group.

Now for a little slight of hand.  The display range of a .kmz file is based on the pixel size used.  If two files cover the same area, the one with the larger pixel size will display first as you zoom in.  At the zoom level it would no longer display, the file with the small pixel size will display.  That is how is worked on my OR300 1-1/2 years ago.  Garmin may have changed this on newer versions of the GPSr' 'software'.  Thus, you may be able to adjust the pixel size when you create the .kmz files so the GPSr will switch from one .kmz file to the other at a specific zoom display.  This may not give you the resolution you need; but may be usable until you find or created vector files; or a vector file of one of the two .kmz files.

BTW geology of where from what source?

PS.  My kmz sampler http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/281/ lists the display ranges I was obtaining with different pizel sized data.

eaparks

You may be able to play around with the draw priority order and also effect when 1 over-rides the other as far as when they appear and disppear.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on April 08, 2011, 02:46:58 PM
BTW geology of where from what source?

Parowan Gap is a 3 mile long wind gap through the Red Hills in Iron County, UT.  It has some significant petroglyphs.  It also is a jumble of Cretaceous and Tertiary sedimentary geology with older Cretaceous strata dipping at 60 degrees abutting newer Cretaceous strata that have no significant dip.

The geological map was a USGS a Mr.Sid file of the geology of Parowan Gap Quadrangle of Utah.  The archeological map is one I grabbed from the web purporting to show cairns used by the creators of the Parowan Gap Petroglyphs to mark sunsets at solstices and equinoxes.

I georeferenced both raster maps in GM12 and created the KMZs as a GM raster extract.  The USGS map was pretty accurate, but I'm still searching for those solstice cairns.

maps4gps

Most interesting.  Wish I were there.

I would expect the cairn data to be points. If so, I would digitize them (or create points) in GM.  Then save a point type shape file, then create an .mp and .img file as an overlay/transparent mapset.  Enable the .kmz geology file and/or cairn mapset as needed.