GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

California Topo Help

Started by FFSchooley, March 24, 2010, 08:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFSchooley

I recently downloaded the California Topo and installed it. All the files in the folder are winzip files that I cannot open, with the exception of the California Topo.TDB file. I have tried to unzip these files so that I can convert them to .mp files and have had no luck. I tired using Mapsettoolkit to convert the files but it either crashes or I get some sort of family already exists error. I think my computer might have issues, so I am going to try it on my other one. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

-Oz-

You don't have to do anything once its installed, just follow these directions to view/put on the GPS: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

FFSchooley

I need to use mapsource to edit this map. It is not available it mapsource in its current configuration after installation.

FFSchooley

I have the latest version of mapsource and windows XP. I just tried the arizona topo and still no luck. When I download and install these maps with the setup program, it installs .img files into a folder. Mapsource says that these are not supported files. I was able to use mapsettoolkit per the instructions on this website, it said complete at the end, and still no luck in mapsource. What is going on?

-Oz-

What are you trying to do; all the maps are loaded into mapsource.  You don't have to open the files.  Just follow the tutorial I posted above; it was made with the Arizona topo.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

FFSchooley

I am trying to open a map in mapsource. In the tutorial you included there is a picture that shows a drop down menu allowing you to choose a map. When I open mapsource, I dont see that option. I have been trying to go to file, then open, and then selecting a map. Is that wrong? I tried to open the tutorial on mapsource, but could not.

maps4gps

Correct; opening a mapset is not done by file/open like tracks, etc.  Garmin does not explain this and it causes much confusion.
If the mapset is self-installing, which CA topo is, just run the .exe file.  It will install the data (.img) and other necessary files, and make the proper changes to the registery.  When you open MapSource, that small one line box in the upper left area can be 'opened' and will list all the mapset you have installed.  Select one and MapSource will begin displaying the data - usually the full overview, then the full data which goes on the GPSr as you zoom-in..