GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Florida Topo Map

Started by duncante, August 25, 2009, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncante

I downloaded the Florida Topo Map from the GPSFileDepot.  It has been a real value and has worked well for my day sailing.   However, I have a Garmin GPSMAP 162 with 2.75MB of limited memory.  I have found that I can only load certain segments from the map that fall under that amount of memory.  If the area I need crosses over two segments that total more than the memory I have, I'm then unable to load them together under a mapset.   Is it possible to edit the segments to cover just the coastline to limit the amount of memory used by a segment?

Thanks
Ted

maps4gps

QuoteIs it possible to edit the segments to cover just the coastline to limit the amount of memory used by a segment?
Unfortunately that is not possible.  What an increadable small amount of memory.  Sounds like some special purpose marine unit.  One of Garmin's marine mapsets may be more suitable for your purposes.

-Oz-

Wow, that is a very very small amount of memory.

I am definitely sorry to say that there is really no way to cut that map down to fit in those limits; especially since I don't have any software that could cut along the coastline.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

I checked the NGA and NOAA sites and both have some nautical charts available for US waters.
GlobalMapper can read both the VPF and ENC formats and output an .mp file.  cgpsmapper gives numerous warning and the 'type can not be 0' error, so I have been unable to get a .img file.  The source data appears to be by nautical chart.  At this time, I have no ideal how much time/effort it would take to change the items having unknow or 0 type issues, nor what the final .img file sizes would be.  It looks cool when displayed, but I am not a mariner to know what is important and what is not.

duncante

Thanks for the posts.  My internet access has been on the blink for a couple of weeks and I have been unable to respond. 

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 162 (Manufacture Date 2001).  I think that was good amount of memory at that time. 

I have thought about downloading from the NOAA website the maps available there and trying my hand at following tutorial @ http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/creating-raster-noaa-charts-for-garmin-gps-units-with-moagu/

I'm hoping to find a way to select only the coastal areas of interest.

If anyone has some thoughts they wish to share, post a note.

leszekp

You would have to select only small chunks of the coastline, which could results in a large number of segments to process. It's quite possible that you still might wind up the maps requiring more memory than you have. With such an old model, the processor speed may not be up to the task of displaying the maps with any reasonable speed. Finally, I'm assuming that this is a black-and-white display, and that will complicate the job of making a map that's usable. I wrote Moagu, and while I'd like to sell another copy, it's quite likely that it simply won't do the job for you.

Eight years is a big gap in technology; it may be time for you to think about buying a new GPSr, or a used model of recent vintage. You'll get a color display, more memory, more speed, more features, and more accuracy for less than what you probably paid for your current unit.

Indrid Cold

I'm going to also have to recommend upgrading to something with a bit more memory, even a color display if you can do it.