GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie and Garmin 450

Started by DJC, May 14, 2012, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJC

I am completely new and have purchased a Garmin 450. I have also downloaded several of the Michigan maps, such as Michigan Trails. I am looking for enough detail to pick out hiking trails that may parrellel a fishing river. I would also like enough detail to 4x4 on logging and two track trails. I don't seem to be accomplishing the detail I am hoping for. Do I need to just download the Garmin maps. I don't mind spending the money, though the idea of using GPSFile Depot maps is very appealing. Thank you so much.

Boyd

Trail data can be hard to find. I think you will just need to look at the maps and decide if they meet your needs. If you are interested in Garmin's 24k map, you can view it online here before purchasing to see if it covers what you need:

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=30474241&l=0&u=1&v=0&cp=4A7DBC6093091578&z=5&x=300&y=225&w=600&h=450&d=2&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

The "real" Garmin map is routable, meaning that it can provide turn by turn directions on roads and trails. Almost none of the maps here can do that. This may not be an issue for many people.

DJC

I am really going to show my hand with this question. The link you provided is exactly what I am looking for, is that a 24K or 100K rendering? I need the most detail available. Thank you so much.

Seldom

24k is higher resolution than 100k.  24K is about the best resolution you can get in the USA.

DJC

Boyd

Just so you know.... "24k" is shorthand for a scale of 1:24,000. It means that a real object will be 24,000 times larger than an object on the map. Since maps are two dimensional, comparing the accuracy is a squared function. Therefore, a 24k map would (theoretically) be 16 times more accurate than a 100k (1:100,000) map.

In practice, with electronic mapping on computers and GPS, this may no longer be the case. However it would hold true with paper USGS topo maps.