GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Capital Issue Newer Garmin units Compiling GPS Map

Started by wanderlust1974, April 05, 2012, 03:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderlust1974

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I apologize if this has been answered already. I am compiling a a map Of Cyprus out of GIS files for use in my Garmin. I am in the US and about to travel to Cyrus. I built the road files and POI's. The map is compiled and I can zoom to Cyprus. The only issue I am having is typing in a city name without using ALL CAPITALS. I turn off all other GPS maps except the Cyprus GPS map on my device after transferring it from Basecamp. I then use the Where to > Near > Different City = Nicosia. It will not return it. I then used all CAPITALS - Where to > Near > Different City = NICOSIA and it worked! I tried this for many other cities. It is the same! Can anyone tell me why my newer Garmin needs all capitals? Is my data coded wrong before I compile?

I appreciate the help!

Seldom

Just a guess cause I'm not having that problem with my maps.  My code page is set to 1252 and my coding schema is set to European single byte.  These are set on the header tab of "Map Properties" in GPSmapedit.

wanderlust1974

Thanks!

I also wanted to add that I read this -

It does depend on the codepage and 'bitsize' of the labels.
>
>6 bit labels were the default - and used originally for high data compression.
>With 6-bits, all letters were converted to uppercase ( 2**6 doesn't
>have 'room' for both upper and lower )
>So the uppercase thing is partly historical. Most units now handle
>higher bits sizes, to allow for internationalisation, but as Brian said
>- this can cause problems with searching.

So I am looking to find out how to change coding from 6 bit to 8. Thanks in advance!

Seldom

Quote from: wanderlust1974 on April 05, 2012, 04:57:23 PM
So I am looking to find out how to change coding from 6 bit to 8. Thanks in advance!
If you are using GPSmapedit, I told you above.  If you are just using a text editor set the Lblcoding variable to
Lblcoding=9.