GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Lost My Topo Map!

Started by HappyNomad, November 26, 2011, 08:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyNomad

Help! I lost my topo map on my Oregon 400t (I probably zapped it). Garmin wants my first born to restore it. Do I have any options?

Boyd

Not really, since the map is a commercial product and it would be a violation of the license for anybody to give you a copy. Next time you should do a full backup of any GPS device when you first get it and you won't have to worry about problems like this.

The 400t has 4GB of internal memory however, so now you have a lot of space to download free maps from this site. :)

If you really want to replace the Garmin topo, the download version is available here for $70: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229&pvID=67032

Do NOT buy the DVD version, because it is segmented differently and you won't be able to load the full map on your Oregon. Did you ever register your Oregon, or do you have another Garmin product that hasn't been registered? If so, register it and you'll get a 10% discount certificate that would take the download price down to $63. Don't know about you, buy my first born is worth a lot more than $63.  ;D

HappyNomad

Thanks for the reply.

The advice about the backup is appreciated. I'm sad to report that as an IT professional who normally backs up in multiple layers, I blew this one (and others). Will probably not be the last!

The jury is still out on the worth of 1st born but it's getting close!  ;) It's not the $100 that they want... it's the fact that I own the rights to it already. Is there a file on the site that you would recommend as a substitute?

Thanks again.

babj615

HappyNomad, where are you located?

I find many errors, some more than 300 feet, in the Topo that came on my Oregon 400t and 550t (same map).

I currently use almost exclusively maps from GPSFileDepot, as I find the dtail in my area to be far better than even Garmins 24K topo Maps.

I certainly would not pay money for the 100K map that came on the unit.

I think it is silly Garmin will not send you another copy of it, as you clearly purchased the rights to it when you bought the 400t.

If you can't find better maps here, and if you are mostly going to use it in one area, I would suggest the 24K topos from Garmin as the lesser of two evils.

I think if you look and try a few, you will find everything you need here, and free of charge!
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

The Garmin 100k topo maps are only good to the scale they were built to. You may have done yourself a favor. Check out the 24k maps from this site for your area. If you find them useful, please donate what feels right. If you do consider Garmin topo maps, check into their 24k DVD set as they also auto route nicely without switching back & with city maps. Be advised, coverage for the CONUS alone would be on the pricey side over the 100k set, but if you only need several states that are covered by 1 DVD, it isn't all that bad.

So first I would recommend the maps on this site to start out.

Sorry we can't help you out with Garmin's maps.

jbensman

First the topo map file that comes with the T models has more than just the 100K topo maps.  While I agree the topo maps are garbage, I paid for the T model because of the built in DEM data.  The DEM data, which is in the file with the maps that you deleted, is used for many things like shaded relief, adding elevation to routes, spot elevations, etc.  The base map is also in the file with the 100K maps.  The base map is important because the GPS uses it when you are zoomed out far.  It can use other maps like City Navigator when it is zoomed out, but its makes the map draw slower when you are zoomed out.

If you had backed up it would be simple, just restore the missing file.  I would ask Garmin if it is legal to use the backup some other 400T owner created of the file to restore it on your GPS.  My bet is it would not  be a violation of copyright.  As you mentioned, you own a liscense to use that file on your 400T.  Its already installed when you get the GPS so you do not agree to anything before you install it.  None of the paperwork that came with my 550T adresses restoring a backup if you delete something.  I looked at all the copyright notices on my GPS and there is nothing in there that would prohibit restoring it from a backup someone else created.  I would think for Garmin to stop you from restoring a deleted file from someone else's backup, they would have to give a notice of this in thier paperwork or on the GPS.  But I am no expert on this.  So ask Garmin.

Boyd

I think Garmin would have replaced your map for free if the device was still under warranty. But the 400t is an old model - I just gave mine away to a friend in fact, after 3.5 years of use. When you purchase a map from Garmin via download, you may download the same map again for a period of 12 months.

Putting aside the issue of the quality of the Garmin 100k topo, if you purchase the map I linked to above, it will be exactly the same as the one you deleted (although a newer version, so perhaps there are some updated roads). That only costs $70 (or $63 with discount), so Garmin's suggestion to restore your map for $100 doesn't make any sense to me.

Finally, we have seen many examples where talking to a supervisor at Garmin support results in solutions that the regular representatives are not authorized to offer. It is important that you actually call however, as opposed to using the e-mail support option.

HappyNomad

Many thanks to all for the advice.

I travel the country in a motorhome so regional/local maps would be a second choice. My activities don't require a great deal of detail. But it may be my ultimate solution.

Good point about the imbedded other data in the topo maps.... Might be a good reason to go that route (pardon the pun).

It seems that Garmin is somewhat narrow-minded but they usually take the safe path and they do like to sell what they can. However, who's to say that I didn't have a friend store an offsite backup copy for me? (and should have!)

I'll give a Garmin supervisor a shot AND try out some of the maps here.

And, BTW, I've already made a donation. I support those who support me.