News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Route gives a straight line

Started by makiken, April 09, 2011, 01:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makiken

Hi,
I am pretty new in GPS. I just ordered the 60CSx, which hasn't arrived yet. I have downloaded the Hawaii TOPO map from this site and started to play with it on BaseCamp (Mac) to create some routes or tracks.
And here comes my problem: When I create a route between to points on the map BC connects them with a straight line instead of following trails or roads. I am afraid auto-routing does not work with these kind of maps, does it? Do I need to buy a Garmin map for this feature?

Thank you very much for your help and sorry for double posting (I could not find this particular problem in the Search though)!

Torben

Seldom

Most of the maps on this site do not include routing data.

Free routable maps of the world are available here:
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

But these maps have problems with address searching, and are created by volunteers from variable quality data, so I recommend a Garmin map however for mission critical routing.

Boyd

Garmin's 24k Hawaii Topo should give you full routing along with address search and points of interest (like restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc): https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=91281

makiken

Thanks, I thought so. Anyway, I tried also seldom's advice, but apparently OSX cannot mount these files. Think I'll spend the $50 for a Garmin's Map.
Aloha

Boyd

Garmin's map will offer a lot more features than the OSM maps. But I think you can still use the OSM maps from that site on your Mac. You would download the osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip file as described on the site and unzip it on your Mac (should happen when you double-click it).

Then just copy the gmapsupp.img file to the Garmin folder on your memory card. Unfortunately, your 60csx is an older design that only recognizes a single map file, so you would be limited to only using one tile at a time.