GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

installing AK topo just broke everything.

Started by jackin, June 12, 2010, 03:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackin

I had about 80G of mapsource maps installed, they all worked then I installed the AK topo from here  and I lost access to 1/2 of the mapsource products.  Then I uninstalled the AK topo and lost everything.  the garmin portion of the registry is totally hosed because of this program and mapsrouce wouldn't start at all.  So then I used that mapsource registry fix from another site and it got back 1/2 of the garmin map products but I'm still looking at about 10+ map products that are still on the harddrive but inaccessible/invisible when i run mapsource.   Nice.

maps4gps

I had no problems with the AK topo when I tested it before uploading it.  I do my final testing on an older PC and never have more than about 4 or 5Gb in 10 or so mapsets on it at one time.

Wiht 80Gb of mapsets in MapSource you may have found an undocumented limit in either MapSource or Windows and the last mapset you installed (AK topo) pushed you beyond.

Could also be a conflict in the family id for this mapset and something already installed. 

This is something I have not seen mentioned before.

jackin

yep.   it totally messed up the configuration somehow.   And the map installs were absolutely stable and not new, they've been on that system for over a year with semi regular use and no issues whatsoever.   From what i can gather, i don't know if this is a coincidence, but it seems like all the older maps are gone.  like canada topo v2, inland lakes, 3 of the 1:24K US national park maps, and others.   The ones that i can access were various "newer" (mostly 2008-2009)  bluechart and city navigator maps, topo 2008 US.   This is just a random list of names typed from memory.  But, like i said, it was definitely this AK topo map that did it.  I have not installed or uninstalled anything else on this laptop in months, maps or otherwise.   Everything else about the laptop seems to be working okay and the same.   the computer is problem free.

Seldom

From what he describes, it sounds like all the old maps got lost in the switch from "Products" to "Families".

I had a problem upgrading MapSource and a tech from Garmin ran the MsiCleaner on my machine.  After that none of the older "Product" based maps worked.

gdavidson

I was having no problem with the AK topo.  Then suddenly MapSource itself went belly up.  It won't reload at all.  I can't get the newest version from the Garmin site because I have SP2, and it requires SP3, which would finish off my old computer.

jackin

I took another look at the list of what i have working and there are a few older maps in there so i don't think it's a family/product transition problem but it could be.  Whatever it is, I would highly recommend people install the AK topo on a system that has no other garmin maps  on it or a secondary system they don't mind messing up.   Me, I messed up my laptop which is the main computer i used with the gps.  I should have done it on the desktop which has hardly any maps and would be easy to reinstall or not reinstalled at all and i would not miss it.  20/20 hindsight, a  lesson learned.

maps4gps

While it is always good to be cautious; with over 700 downloads in the 3 months the mapset has been available, yours is the first report of any problem.

-Oz-

Make sure you have a recent version of Mapsource since the custom maps use families while the really old maps use product codes.  I tested it as well with no issues.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!