News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Emails for NHD Extracts

Started by vespaio, April 23, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vespaio

Hi, 

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the emails for the NHD Subbasins? There was a message after each of my requests telling me I would receive a notice by email as to where I could download the files, but after 9 hours I still haven't received any. I don't know if I should continue waiting or request them again.

Thanks,  Ray

maps4gps

Depends on how many request they have and what else the system is doing.  I have got them in less than an hours to a few days.  Sometimes they get lost in the system and they may come a few weeks later - long after I have received my rerequest.

vespaio

They're finally coming through now, starting 12 hours after my request.

I notice that there are 7-10 files in each email, each with the same ftp...zip, but with different shapefile numbers (example below).

HydrographySubBasin / 15020002Shapefile 8.3ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/NHD181416.zip
HydrographySubBasin / 15020010Shapefile 8.3ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/NHD181416.zip

Should I just download the last zip in the list and use it, or how should I handle them?

Thanks again,  Ray

maps4gps

You need them all.   The 15020002 etc. numbers are the code for the region, subregion, basin, subbasin.

vespaio

Thanks. I'll have to rename the files then since the same .zip forces them to write over the preceding files.

jbensman

Sometimes the site goes down and they don't know.  So if you don't get it in a day or so, email them.

Also, you only need to download the file once.  They are all the same file.  It did not used to be like that.  But a few months ago they changed.  I do not know what they have many links to the exact some file, but they do. 

-Oz-

I have gone 48hrs then I get a huge chunk.  It seems best to me to request on Friday and get them all over the weekend.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

vespaio

So what you're saying, if I understand you correctly, is that even if there are 6 shapefiles listed separately in the same .zip file, I can open just one .zip file and get them all?

Based on one of the emails, I opened each of the 6 files in this example in a separate folder and then processed them, since opening them in the same folder would have forced them to overwrite each other.

-Oz-

I did just check with my latest set of new NHD data (florida); you only need to download one zip from the email; they all contain the same thing.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

vespaio

Thanks for the information.

Ray