GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mac MapInstall error: "No Garmin maps found"

Started by banjr, May 06, 2009, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjr

I'm trying to load my first new map onto a Nuvi 500. I read Rex's tutorial on loading maps http://tinyurl.com/cxh49l but can't get past step 3. With my Kingston 4gb microSD card in a reader and mounted on the desktop, I launch MapInstall. Instead of the splashscreen Rex describes, I get the following error: No Garmin maps found

I get the same error with the card installed in the Nuvi and the Nuvi mounted on the Mac (OS 10.5.4). The file is named "California Topo.gmapi" and is one by Laura Sanborn that I found here on GPSFileDepot.

Any help greatly appreciated.

banjr

Indrid Cold

I think Rex was going to write up a tutorial on installing the maps so the software will use it but he's been busy...

Here's what you need to do:
1. download the map in it's .tgz format
2. double click the file to unarchive it to a .gmapi format
3. double click the .gmapi file to open MapManager and press the [Install] button
4. once the mapset is installed (it will alert you to this), press the [Quit] button. The mapset is now installed.
5 Start up the tutorial on loading your maps to your GPS.

banjr

Doh! Thanks for the quick response and clear instructions. Worked perfectly.

Indrid Cold

FWIW: That map isn't very Mac friendly. You won't be able to click on a map tile and get what you want, you have to marquee a selection to get the contour data.

banjr

I am waay new to this. I don't know what you mean by "map time" or where I would marquee a section. When loading it, i marqueed the whole map and just dumped it all onto my 4gb card. It shows up if I select it in the Nuvi 500, but I haven't found it useful. Currently it's not even active, as it clutters the screen when zooming in; plus I figure it will probably slow searches down.

I mostly loaded this map because the supplied Garmin Topo map is missing lots of trails that I know exist. Unfortunately, when I checked those trails on the California Topo, they also weren't there. In once case it was more than a trail--it's the main paved road leading into a state park past the ranger's kiosk and to the primary campground. The campground is shown on both maps, but no indication that a road leads to it. None of the trails in the state park are shown.

Well, it was worth a try. Thanks again for your help.

banjr

Indrid Cold

it was a typo, and should have read "map tile" (sorry but I'm typing with a broken finger). The Calif TOPO is one of the oldest mapset here if not the oldest and I think it's missing more than trails.

banjr

A broken finger?! No wonder you're listed as a Hero member...

Indrid Cold

I must have been promoted, I was just a " Sr. Member" until recently ::)

-Oz-

Hero member is probably more appropriate.

California is a very difficult map for programs to use.  The state is quite large too so redoing it isn't an easy task.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!