GPSFileDepot.com
 

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - medic265

#1
GPSr Units / Please recommend a GPSr
July 26, 2011, 03:59:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a new GPSr.  I was hoping you guys with more experience with me can recommend something.

So here's my situation:

I'm hoping to map out the ATV trails we ride on here locally in Kentucky and then later create some type of file to share with everyone.

I think I would like to record my track as we go and then be able to save that.  I also would like to mark some waypoints of interesting things along the way.  I have been doing this with Gaia on my Iphone but would rather have a dedicated unit.

On any given ride we may cover as much as 100 miles.  But most of the ride is broken down into trails of maybe 20 miles at the most.  So I can either track the entire ride and break it down into individual trails at home.  Or stop and start each trail as we ride it.

What I hope to find is a used automotive GPS (their cheap) that I can load maps onto from mapsource.  I have a Nuvi 255W but so far I haven't even been able to pull up the maps I have tried to load.  I am going to dedicate whatever I use to this job as I have a good TomTom in my vehicle. 

Now if the Nuvi I have will do what I want then thats great.  I just need to learn how to use it.  But if not then I hope I can find something cheap on eBay.

So is there another unit you folks might suggest that I can look for or am I good with what I got.