GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

I need input from experienced GPS owners on the oregon 200

Started by mmollema, January 22, 2010, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmollema

I purchased the oregon 200 at bass pro for $229 and it appears to be a good little unit, this is my first GPS and I don,t know if this is a good unit or not.  I was deciding between this unit and the 60csx.  could you pros out there give me some pros and cons or if the 200 is a good unit?  I will mostly be using for the lake maps for ice fishing.  Thanks :)

Boyd

Really - who cares what we think? How do you like it? That's all that really matters.

I have an Oregon and 60csx and for me there is no contest. I stopped using the 60csx quite some time ago an don't miss it in the least. The main plusses for the 60csx are its large user base, tried and true design, and easily readable screen. The minuses are the fact that the technology and user interface are getting rather old - about 7 years now for the basic platform (although some components have changed over the years). The screen is very low resolution, the user interface is clunky (try entering text with a joystick) and the processor is slow to draw complex maps.

The Oregon has a nice intuitive user interface, the highest resolution screen of any handheld and two important new capabilites: custom maps which you make yourself from scanned paper maps or downloaded imagery and the BirdsEye satellite imagery subscription which will begin in March. I think most people will eventually want both of these things, and the 60csx will not support them.

mmollema

I like the unit but I don't know if there is an option that I will miss by not having it or not like the electronic compass

Boyd

I have the electronic compass on my Oregon 400t and never use it. You need to hold the GPS flat (screen pointed to the sky) for the compass to work properly. Same with the 60csx. The compass also drains your batteries faster on either unit.

The newest Oregon models (550, 450) and the Dakota 20 have a triaxial compass which works when holding the GPS in any position.

-Oz-

I can't weigh in on this debate but I just purchased (hasn't yet arrived) a Dakota 20 because I want the ability to use the "Garmin Custom Maps" (imagery) that I can't do with my 60csx.  I actually liked the compass on my 60csx a couple times so having a three axis compass should be nice but if it was worth the additional cost is very very debatable.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!