GPSFileDepot.com

Well, I downloaded maps of the whole USA so how do get them opened in BaseCamp?

Started by kenmack, January 18, 2010, 09:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenmack

This is probably an easy fix, but when I open BaseCamp it doesn't have my downloaded and installed John M maps available.  Can someone tell me how to use these maps please?

kenmack

I downloaded Alabama Topo and it is unavailable to BaseCamp also.  I had downloaded it last week before having to replace my hard drive and it worked just fine with BaseCamp.  Anyone?

Seldom

You have run the installer, if there is one, right?  There's a little drop down, same place as MapSource, on the top left of the screen that lets you select the product.  Have you tried that and had no sucess? 

kenmack

I'm not sure.  Some of the maps say that they include the installer, others do not.  None of them have instlled to the point where they are available in the drop down map selection.  All maps installed in the program files folder of my c:/ drive.  Garmin maps from CD installed in the all users/documents and settings/.... folder.

kenmack

maps4gps

Usually the mapsets which are downloaded as a .zip file do not self-install; those packaged as .exe are the self-installing ones.
Is the version of Basecamp different than the one you used before you replaced your hard drive?
Did you try AL Topo again?
Have you tried MapSource?

Another thing to try would be to install the mapset to the same folder the Garmin CD uses; I vaguely recall a post about Basecamp needing the files in a different folder structure than MapSource.

It would be prudent do uninstall the problem mapsets before installing again - either use the uninstall program(s) which came with each self-installing version mapset or use MapSetToolKit.

maps4gps

Which mapsets? Only Ibycus and US Planimetric xxx cover all 50 States?

Did you install them; i.e. run the .exe files?

Indrid Cold

Here's the thing...

• What version of BaseCamp? Only newer versions have the ability to open custom user maps.
  • What Platform and OS? The Macintosh version works differently than the Windows version and differently on different versions of Windows.
  • Which maps exactly, not all of them have installers, and some need to be compiled, and some are raster maps that aren't going to work in either case.
  • Do you see the maps in MapSource (Windows) or RoadTrip (Macintosh)? This will give a better idea whether there is a problem with the mapset or the install or user error...
  • Today is a holiday and people are busy with things. If you are in that big a rush, the option is to drive on down to REI and pick up a US TOPO 2008 DVD for about US$100.00.

Indrid Cold

It might help if you included which version of BaseCamp and what operating system you are using.

kenmack

Windows XP Pro
John M's maps
Maybe I need to update BaseCamp which came with my Oregon I bought in October.  I've been fighting my computer for two days, my printer and now this.  I'm really weary of it.  I'm going on a hunt to a place tomorrow that I'd like to be able to orient myself to.  REI is 3000 miles away and US topo is not adequate and is already on my gps anyway.

Indrid Cold

All righty. I believe you will need v2.0.8 to use the maps. Try MapSource and see if you can see the maps there... You can always use that to load to an Oregon and sort out the BaseCamp issuse later.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

kenmack

Thanks for that suggestion.  I've 2.0.5 now and 2.0.9 is available.  I must of had a later version before I had to reinstall everything on account of a hard drive failure.  Hopefully this will do it.

kenmack