GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problems with GNIS PROCESS and POIs

Started by freecat, January 18, 2010, 05:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freecat

After making some very basic maps i decided to make a high detailed map of the area i live in its basiclly 4 1:100 quads in the centeral part of North Carolina.  I am trying to create a map set like the NCTOPO set that is here but way more detailed. I am GPS mapping all the trails creeks and logging roads, old mines etc..
I have been using the tutorials posted here and have everything for my map processed except for the POIs.

GNIS PROCESS seems to work but the output folder is empty. The only thing in the error log is:
C:\Users\Freecat\Desktop\POI\gnis.shp: shape (.shp) or index files (.shx) can not be opened, will just import attribute data.
C:\Users\Freecat\Desktop\POI\gnis.shp: dbf file (.dbf) can not be opened.

I tried downloading a text list and converting to cvs then using online apps to convert to gpx. None of the converter apps seem to work but not sure if the main file is right.

I also tried to get the .shp files from another source (NCDATA) the files are ok but  none of the points are typed/labeled.
I hate to have to do this all manually has anyone got any ideas as to how i should proceed?
Thanks
Freecat =^_^=

Seldom

Don't know how much of this you've already done, but if you open the GNIS text file in Excel you should be able to relocate data columns to create a csv suitable for your gpx export. 

I use a VLookup formula to assign MP_types to the objects.  Its only problem so far is that whenever I have a sand bar, MapSource shows me a frothy beer mug.

Once I have the text file tweaked, I import it into Global Mapper. 

freecat

Thanks a ton Seldom_sn that worked like a charm. I now have a .gpx of my POIs  :D
Thanks again
Freecat =^_^=