GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Etrex Vista HCX

Started by JoeHiker61, January 01, 2010, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHiker61

I'm new to using GPS for hiking.  Got an Etrex Vista HCX for Christmas and trying to figure out how to use it.  The info. on this site is excellent but I still have a lot to learn/figure out.

I've downloaded maps for my area CT from this site.  First question.  If I have multiple maps on the unit, do I need to identify which to have on or can I have them all loaded and let the unit determine which to use.

I went to a trail that I know and created a track and set waypoints along the way.  When I got to the end I tried to do Trackback. I selected trackback and selected my beginning point as where I wanted to track to.  The unit would calculate a route and continually recalculate every couple of seconds.  It wouldn't work so I turned off navigation and just walked back. After 1o mins or so I tried again and same thing.   After a few different times trying this, it finally seemed to work.

Any advise on what might be the problem or what I should do different.

Thanks.

maps4gps

You GPSr will decide which to display - Garmin products usually have priority.  You can show/hide entire mapsets if you wish to display a mapset with a lower priority.

JoeHiker61

Thanks for the info.  Have you had any similar problems with the trackback?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: JoeHiker61 on January 01, 2010, 03:40:21 PM
I went to a trail that I know and created a track and set waypoints along the way.  When I got to the end I tried to do Trackback. I selected trackback and selected my beginning point as where I wanted to track to.  The unit would calculate a route and continually recalculate every couple of seconds.  It wouldn't work so I turned off navigation and just walked back. After 1o mins or so I tried again and same thing.   After a few different times trying this, it finally seemed to work.
I have one of those and the TrackBack works perfectly. It will route you back along the recorded track, so if you deviate from it, it's going to recalculate. It's best to clear the tracklog before recording a new track, and then save it and then do your TrackBack. This works with yo-yo hikes, following the track in for your return.

JoeHiker61

Thanks for the response.  I'll give it a try.