GPSFileDepot.com

Problem displaying NY or NJ 1:24k topo maps in Mapsource

Started by GerIRL, January 13, 2010, 05:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GerIRL

Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.  I downloaded and installed NY & NJ topo maps and installed them into Mapsource and they worked great for a day or two.  Then all of a sudden they appear corrupted as per the link below - no contours, and the roads are tiny little broken straight line segments.  Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

http://bit.ly/8bosd3

Thanks.

Seldom

Later versions of MapSource 6.15.7, for example, really don't like Win7 64, or at least my installation.  I've had much better results using Basecamp.  I've read in this group

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,848.0.html

that 6.13.7 is much more reliable.  Nice to know, 'cause that was the last decent version of MapSource anyway.

-Oz-

It seems like you need to zoom in more; the way the census does the roads they appear as segments at the further out zoom; zoom to like 0.5mi and see if that fixes it.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

That looks like preview map data.  Did you recently delete, move or rename the .img files with the actual data or the .tdb file?

GerIRL

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.  To answer your questions: 1)  I have tried zooming in and out, and adjusting the level of detail and it makes no difference.  2) I just installed the 2 mapsets in Mapsource 6.15.7 - didn;t rename or manipulate anything.  I'm concentrating on the 1st response above about win 7 64 bit not liking to co-exist with Mapsource 6.15.7.  I', debating whether to install BaseCamp or go back to Mapsource 5.13.*.

Thanks to all, and any further input or advice is appreciated.

GerIRL

Here's a thought:  Does anyone think that installing the mapsets in XP Compatability mode might make a difference?  My City Nav US and Europe both work fine in 6.15.7.

-Oz-

But you said the mapset was working earlier; why not just uninstall and reinstall it?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

GerIRL

I did reinstall the NJ topo maps in Mapsource 6.15.7 and they still don't work.  I installed BaseCamp 2.0.9 and they work fine.  Now to figure out how to upload from BaseCamp to my Or400t.

Seldom

Hook the OR up to your PC.
Right Click on the chip. You will get a MapInstall dialog box.
MapInstall will work pretty much like MapSource to select map segments.