GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MAPSOURCE FRUSTRATION!!!

Started by margo, November 07, 2009, 08:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

margo

It seems like I am constantly having to reinstal mapsource!!! The last time I did it thought really seemed to fix it, or so I thought. I have a vista and a venture and have 2 partial maps for the venture. I have to load them from the computer cause the venture doesn't have a slot, but when I got to NC I got an error message saying that soemthing was wrong with the SE map and it had to be reinstalled! I did reinstal that one, and I am getting a message from teh gA map now!!!!

I think it would be easier just to try reinstalling mapsource again! Or look into that mapsoource free way of transferring maps to gps's.

It seems like garmin could make something AT LEAST AS GOOD AS THE FREE STUFF!!!

Mod note: Edited thread title... keep it civil folks, there are children that read this forum.

Jimbob

You might try uninstalling everything, reboot, then reinstall mapsource and then your maps.  Grasping at straws!!!

margo

I have whatever the latest one is. It seems like it will work right for awhile, then out of the blue it will say I have to update, or it can't find my gps, or it doesn't like my maps anymore . . . .

I guess I will put the mapsource cd in my computer bag so I can reinstall it at a moments notice! Fortunately I can get along without it most of the time!

>:(

Seldom

To elaborate.  If you haven't updated from Trip and Waypoint Manager, download the most recent MapSource update from Garmin.  Either check for updates, or if that doesn't work, go to:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

margo

I had updated mapsource when I got my vista, not that long ago. But I just updated it again, I don't think I had the oct 09 update.

But it didnt' help. I think I'm going to have to uninstall everything, then install it again.

I only use mapsource for loading maps to my gps. I think I will try the non-mapsource way of doing this. I use easy gps or gsak for other stuff. I liked that you could use google earth with mapsource but I can use gpsvisualiser and control more preferances.

Seldom

cgpsmapper's SendMap program will do it for unlocked maps, but I haven't been able to get it to send locked maps, even when I include my unlock codes.  So if you have any locked maps you'd better get MapSource working right.

I couldn't figure out from the OP whether you are having trouble with third party maps, like what you download here, or with Garmin's stuff.

Do things get better when you uninstall the third party maps?

Does everything run OK for a while and then you get problems without having new map products installed?

margo

I am using unlocked maps at the moment. I also sometimes download caches from geocaching.com but have not attempted that since the latest snafu. I have no need to transfer maps at the moment as I am back home, and my venture has that map. I managed to get everything for my vista on the card so I don't need it there as well.

Sooner or later I think I will have to uninstall, then reinstall everything having to do with mapsource, but I don't feel like doing it now. It seems to be a common issue, I don't understand why it can't work as well as the free programs.

eta: I just tested downloading a cache and it worked. Maybe I will just delete and reinstal the maps first.

I wish I knew why it worked fine one minute, then started giving errors the next?!?

actuary32174

I just purchased a Garmin 265WT and tried to transfer some maps from mapsourse to my unit. The Mapsource version I am using is 6.15.7. I followed the directions and everything that shows up on the screen was as it was supposed to be:

After selecting the two map sections I wanted, I continued and got the following messages:

Building Index Files
Building Map Set
Transferring Map Set

and finally received the message: Data was successfully sent.

The only problem is that when I go to Mao Info, the only map listed is CN North America NT 2010.30.

Something appears to have been transferred, but, nothing is showing up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Boyd

What did you try to send? How large was the map (number of segments). If it was more than 2025 segments, that may be your problem. That is the maximum which most Garmin units will allow.