GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Best Handheld GPS Unit for Trail Construction Project?

Started by Steve_in_Jersey, September 13, 2009, 08:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_Jersey

I am engaged in a project to electronically map a statewide trail system in New Jersey (GPS tracks, waypoints) and could really use some practical advice on choice of GPS unit. The GPS track and waypoint coordinates so created will in essence become the 'reference standard' for this trail. This project is the one and only reason I'll be purchasing and using this device. I am not looking for turn-by-turn routing for automobile use (will rely upon my Gamin Nuvi 660 for that). While I've used automobile-based units, and am pretty tech-savvy, I have no experience with handheld units or trailmarking in general.

Device being recommended above all others is Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. However, I'm wondering if I should be looking at Oregon 500 and DeLorme PN-40 as well, or even considering two units (one for Phase One and a different one for Phase Two).

BACKGROUND
Will be doing this as a series of sectional hikes (generally 10 miles in length). (2) The trail will cover city streets, suburban paths (county parks), rural and forested trails. Basically about as varied as one could possibly get.

There are two phases to this activity, both very important, though first is slightly more so:
PHASE ONE (1) Need to create GPS tracks that could be uploaded to 'CONSUMER-ORIENTED' hiking websites (e.g. Google Maps or Google Earth) (2) Need to establish waypoints to identify locations for trail markers. (3) Need to be able to geotag pictures showing recommended locations for markers.

PHASE TWO (4) Would like to be able to do the opposite of above - i.e.
- download tracks and/or routes that I could display on the GPS in the field.
- use the unit in the field to display the trail marker waypoints to identify the specific location for the markers. While extreme accuracy is not needed, it should be sufficient to enable someone not connected with Phase One to be able to use it to guide trail marker placement.

NICE TO HAVE: Display photographs of trail marker locations

With this in mind, I have following questions:
(A) - Is 60CSx is most appropriate choice? From the reviews/comparisons to other units (most notably Garmin Oregon models), it seems like this unit's greatest advantages are accuracy and screen readibility in field.
But I'm concerned about useability of its maps for Phase Two. Again the route of this trail is both rural AND urban (city street) ares. I am assuming that the City Navigator maps will prove useless for rural trails and that I'll be using the Topographic maps
- How does legibility/useability of Garmin Topgraphic maps work for both urban and rural areas?
- Any other advantages/disadvantages I should be aware of (e.g. amount of space for storing track data)?

(B) Would Oregon's higher resolution screen make Phase Two significantly easier? My gut is that the higher resolution would be of limited added value, and that it would be the detail and quality of the topographic maps in cities and in rural areas that is far more important.

(C) Would PN-40's downloadable raster maps be way to go?

(D) Would I be better off with TWO devices: one for Phase One and a different one (iTouch, Blackberry, Windows Mobile PDA) for Phase Two? Given finite life of this project, I am not against using two devices. Though it would be great if one could suffice.

Any help on above would be greatly appreciated.

Steve_in_Jersey

astainback

Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

-Oz-

the 60csx will do phase I excellently.

for phase ii it will also work just fine; especially if you need create a transparent map and load that onto the unit instead of loading it as a track.

my 60csx also has the sirf chip.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

margo

Is the HS sensor in the 60 better than the HS sensor in the others, say the vista?  I'm just wondering'. I thought there was a certain amount of inaccuracy built into what civilians can use?

-Oz-

margo, that inaccuracy used to be a countermeasure but the military turned it off a few years ago.  The curent inaccuracy is just due to the antenna, atmospheric interferance, processing power etc.

Post processing helps a lot but to do that you would need a base station nearby.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

IMO, if you are considering the purchase of a Garmin GPS then everything just changed this week. Sooner or later you will probably wish you could use Garmin's new custom map capability (see: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html) and it isn't (and won't be) available for the GPSMap 60 or eTrex series.