GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GNIS names as an elevation on GPSr?

Started by hntr, September 05, 2009, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hntr

Hi, I have another problem with my GPS map that I can't quite pin down where the error is coming from. 

I am using GNIS data to show POI's on my topo map.  City names show up fine, Well #s show up fine, but there are some points that don't have a name and when you scroll to them on the GPSr you get the elevation data associated with the name but with the wrong units - i.e. ', 1035 ft'

The contours in the area indicate that the correct elevation should be 1035 meters. 

Could this be due to one of the 'Configuration' settings in Global Mapper?

Actually now that I think about it - sometimes the Well #s show up fine but have the comma then the wrong elevation  (i.e. - 67878479 Well, 238 ft)

maps4gps

GNIS = Geographic Names Information System.
If it does not have a name, it should not be in the file from USGS; and I do not recall ever finding a record without a name.
Is this an older file?  - Up until a few years ago the units in the GNIS were feet.
QuoteCould this be due to one of the 'Configuration' settings in Global Mapper?
Probably.  Is GM set to feet or meters?

hntr

It's fairly new data.  The elevation data is in meters, but the labels that get written to the GPS is ft

GM is set to feet in the vertical options and feet in the general options.

maps4gps

Is the header in the .mp file set to feet or meters?

hntr

Quote from: maps4gps on September 06, 2009, 09:39:33 AM
Is the header in the .mp file set to feet or meters?

feet:  elevation=f    in header

maps4gps

Did you try setting the vertical and general options to meters in GM? 
It might also be that GM is still programed to think the values are in feet.  You might send a message to GM asking about this.
Also try outputting the file as a point shape file; then open the .dbf file and convert the elevations from meters to feet.

hntr

Thanks for your help.

I guess I should clarify that I don't even want the elevation data to be included in the name.  It is a GNIS name, it should be named something like 'mount ranier' and not have the elevation data: 'mount ranier, 4050 m'

Not sure why the mp file has written the elevation data to the name

i will look at the data again when I have more time

oh, and yes I have had the vertical options set to meters (this makes my contour lines have elevations of 26,000)

maps4gps

Rename the elevation field.  GM sees this field and does what it is programed to do with it.  Often it takes me more time trying to undo changes that GM makes 'behind the sceens' than it takes to process the data.