GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

NE USA Topo Part 1

Started by Snake Eyes, September 02, 2009, 07:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake Eyes

I downloaded this map set and have uploaded the sections I need to my 60CSx.  Nice!

Now I would like to delete most of the .img files from the folder on my hard drive since I do not need maps of all that area, (and am working with a 60gb drive.)  Is there a way to see which areas of the map are contained in the individual files?  And if so, can I delete them without losing function of the rest?

thanks for any help.

maps4gps

According to the description of the mapset the author included on gpsfiledepot - it was immediately above where you clicked to download the mapset:

The img file names do have meaning.

Position 1 and 2    The block number. Blocks 4 degree by 4 degree parts I have divided the map in to.
Position 3 and 4   The Latitude of the Northwest corner  of the square
Position 5, 6 and 7   The Longitude of the Northwest corner  of the square
Position 8     A number 1 to 4 showing what quarter of the degree the img file map is of . 1 is the Northwest, 2 is the Northeast, 3 is the Southwest, and 4 is the Southeast,

In some testing I did a year ago,  all of the actual data files do not need to be present.  Write the files to a CD.  If you ever need those files, simply copy them back to the folder with the other files on your hard drive.

Snake Eyes

Thanks!  I think I can work that out.

I have another question. 
After I deleted the mapset called New York Topo, Mapsource refused to open, and requested that I reinstall that mapset.

What's that all about?

Thanks again.

maps4gps

A mpaset should not be delete.  It should be uninstalled by using the uninstall 'utility program' which came as part of the selfinstall version.  I would try reinstalling the mapset, then use the uninstall program.  There are other ways, but they are 'more complex.

Snake Eyes

Thanks Maps ...

I didn't really "delete", I just moved the folder as a test.  When I put it back, Mapsource was happy.

But I did delete another mapset, called NewEnglandtopo, and Mapsource did not complain about that.
Do you think I need to reinstall NewEnglandtopo and uninstall?

I noticed that when I saved a map from NewEnglandtopo, it was a .gdb file, but when I save a map from New York Topo, it is a prn.

Thanks for your help, I will work on this.