News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Southwest Map Question/Garmin

Started by fish2xtc, August 20, 2009, 09:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish2xtc

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to using my GPS.  I just purchased the Etrex Summit HC.  I was looking for some maps that I can put on my GPS for hiking in different areas of Utah. both in the Wasatch and Uinta mountains.  Is the southwest the best one for this?  Will I be able to put the map on my GPS, or does it only go on the computer?  Any help would be much appreciated.

maps4gps

Info on hiking trails are somewhat difficult to obtain.  You would most likely find more/better trail info in a third party overlay (transparent) mapset than in a 'full' topo mapset - but for any area you could get lucky.  
  I would first download the UT topo by IndyJpr listed here, with the direct:
http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html  The mapauthor used info from UT DOT which is very detailed, at least for the 4-wheel roads/trails around Moab.  It is free, so you have nothing to loose but some time in downloading.
  The entire state, and other mapsets can be installed to and viewed in MapSource on your computer.  With only 24Mb on the GPSr, you will only be able to select and load to your GPSr a portion of UT.  You can easily change which areas you have loaded to your GPSr.

Indrid Cold

They work on both the computer and your GPS.