GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

running cgpsmapper cpreview from command line

Started by hntr, August 20, 2009, 09:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hntr

I couldn't find much in the documentation about creating a text file to tell cGPSmapper which img files to read.  Do any of you have an example file I could look at?  And the batch file if you use one?

This is what I found in the cGPS documentation:

9.3 Creating preview map files
To create the preview and tdb file, you will need to re-run cGPSmapper again after you
have created your .img file. You need to create another text file - similar to a Polish format
file, which tells cGPSmapper which detail maps you want to read, and some configuration
options. cGPSmapper will then read your detail maps, picking up the map details from the
map files, and using these to create the preview map.
C:\mymaps> cGPSmapper pv mypv.mp
From version 0.94 of cGPSmapper it is recommended to use a separate program to create
preview files - cpreview. It uses exactly same input as cGPSmapper for preview generation.
It does not however require command 'pv'.
C:\mymaps> cpreview mypv.mp

maps4gps

Have you tried using MapSetTookKit?  You select the .img files to include and it will create the .tdb and preview files and even install to MapSource if you wish.

hntr

yes, I get an error when trying to view the map in MapSource - currently 3 or 4 topics down

I need to try things manually because I don't know what else to do

the error comes sparatically, but typically with large data sets (topo of a whole state) - when I run small trial runs everything works fine.  Tresize higher seemed to help, but then didn't end up working.  Smaller grid size seemed to help, but wasn't the solution . . .

hntr

try checking out this instruction by Greg Riker:
http://cgpsmapper.com/download/GM8DocV2.pdf

page 16

maps4gps

Quote from: hntr on August 20, 2009, 10:46:19 AM
yes, I get an error when trying to view the map in MapSource - currently 3 or 4 topics down

I need to try things manually because I don't know what else to do

the error comes sparatically, but typically with large data sets (topo of a whole state) - when I run small trial runs everything works fine.  Tresize higher seemed to help, but then didn't end up working.  Smaller grid size seemed to help, but wasn't the solution . . .
I could not help with that post because I never got such a message.
I once tried a preview directly with cgpsmapper, but it either did not work or was so much more work than MapSetToolKit, I never tried it again.
There seems to be a lot of things which need to be within a narrow range to work properly, with little to no guidence to what that range is.  If you a lucky to hit it just right the first time, it is hard to determine why things are not working for others - then there are things which work in one version of the software, but not the next.
Which state are you working on?   How big is a state dataset? 

hntr

I have the state (Colorado) done and on my GPS using sendmap20 - the size of the data sent was 376mb

maps4gps

I have a CO mapset on this site which is about 180Mb.  What is 376Mb, the source files (i.e. shape files), the .mp files, or the .img files ?  Are you in the Denver area?

hntr

the img files - it's a topo map with 20ft contour intervals

maps4gps

On my first effort in Jan, 2008, I also used 20' for the entire state.  I have since learned that a 20' interval would only be appropriate for about 22% of the state - based on the CI used on the printed topo quads which were the source of the NED/DEM elevation grid data.
I was thinking it might be easiest to find the issue(s) by processing your 'intermediate' data, but if the .img files total 376Mb, the .shp files would be around 4Gb and you may not have even used shape files.

hntr

Does anybody offer to send out shapefiles of their processed contour data? 

I have been trying to come up with a good way to share these processed shapefiles for the general map items like GNIS, contours, NHD, etc.  but obviously filesize is an issue

If everybody wants to send me their most current data I would be happy to burn state CD's DVDs  - or SD card - for people for like $20 as they need them.  That would save lots of time for people.

maps4gps

Not that I am aware of.

Keep in mind that different people could use different contour intervals, set 'smoothing' parameters differently, use a progrom with a different contour algorithm, or even source data with a different level of detail.

Hydo could be from Census, NHD, or perhaps a different source.

All these data are changing; NHD and GNIS almost continously, Census yearly.

A shapefile could also be put through numerous checks, corrections, data reformating, enhancements, etc.

In the early days of GIS, there was a 'saying' - For every measure of cost ($, time, effort) spent finding the needed data, expect 10 times that to acquire the data, 100 times to process it, and 1000 times to clean it up and upkeep it.

Even aiming for a 'standard' would not fit the needs of some.