GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by rickvr, October 06, 2008, 12:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickvr

I have searched the internet to find good topo maps for my Garmin 76csx with little luck until I got here. You folks have done some great work! I've considered using your methods to make maps for the eastern seaboard (USA), primarily for North Carolina which is where I live. My problem is I'm stuck with dial-up and the data files are huge. Is there any chance that someone already has a map for this state or will be making one in the future?

-Oz-

I don't personally have plans to do north caronlina at this time.  In the general plan I intend to do all states but I will likely be doing Oregon after Idaho finishes compiling.

Maybe then i'll move to the east coast.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

rickvr

Thanks for the reply. I can't see trying this with a dial-up connection so I'll have to stick to Garmins topo maps until something better comes along. Good luck with all your projects.

rick

rickvr

I have attempted to create a small map consisting a section of two counties containing a river. I have two problems, in cgpsmapper,while processing I had this error: warning-W024 type of element should not be 0(zero). In creating the preview file in mapsettoolkit_v 1.40, while processing I got "error importing element" and "not enough nodes". Mapsettoolkit ended with a dialog box that said convert terminated. I hope this makes some sense to someone. Help would be appreciated.

rickvr

FYI, work was done with GlobalMapper.

-Oz-

convert termined is its way of saying it finished (normally successfully).  Sometimes there are random errors while making it.

The other error: W024 type of element should not be 0 is a bad error.  This means that your mp file had type=Unknown somewhere in it.

Normally it tells you what line this occurred on. Did you follow my tutorial for the water data processing or do it another way?

How large is your .mp file?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

rickvr

Hey I'm back, over the last few months I decided to play around with Globalmapper. I now have about 20 counties in the NE part of NC. I decided to break these up into 3 groups because of the differences in elevation (0 on the coast and 400 ft. in the western part). After completing each group I will combined them into one workspace and export to a MP file. Will this work out the way I expect it to, and if so can I add counties to the map later? Also, how large can these files get, one file is already over 500 mb.

-Oz-

Yes it will work like you expect; just export it to many split files (not just one .mp file it'd be huge).

And yes, you can add to the map.  You'll just have to create more .mps then .img (from those) then rerun mapsettoolkit to create the new index; not very hard.

Umm, how large: .mp files up to 800mb have been known to work w/o problems.  Any files larger than 2gb can cause problems due to how a lot of programs allocate memory.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!