GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

issues making a world map

Started by maps4gps, August 13, 2009, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maps4gps

1.  In compiling quads/tiles with cgpsmapper I get the 'W008 - element spans more than 10 degrees' warning.  At 10x10 I do not, but get the message when MapSetToolKit 1.62 is used to build the mapset for MapSource.  I have not noticed any difference, but is there any effect on the data if larger tiles are used?

2.  MapSetToolKit will not finish building if the mapset limits are -180 to 180 longitude.  If the west and east columns of quads/tiles are restricted to -179.9 and 179.9, it works properly; however, some land area in eastern Siberia will be missed.  Similiar situation in using 90 & -90 latitude.  Full 10x10 quads/tiles work with SendMap2 and the resulting gmapsupp.img file works OK on the GPSr.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a way to go to -180/180 other than using 4 'quarter' mapsets?

Thanks

Indrid Cold

Sorry, don't have an answer for that, never built over 5°x5°. I have the Garmin World BaseMap so I never had a need to venture into those waters.

maps4gps

What is the size of that mapset?  Do they indicate the map scale of the source data?

Indrid Cold

Tile size is 5°x5°, I believe the scale is 1M (looks like DCW)

maps4gps

That's what I was working with; actually the VMAP0 version from 2001 of DCW.  It has primary political subdivisions for all the countries, vegetation polygons for all the world and some ocean bathymetry.  May not be any point to proceding.

Indrid Cold

Sound like a good project, would have same me some money at one time :-[