News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problems with ocean rendering and other issues

Started by Moun10Bike, August 11, 2009, 02:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moun10Bike

Hi all,

I've been working on the production of a topographic mapset for Washington State and adjacent areas and have run into some issues that I can't seem to solve.  I'm hoping that others with more experience than I may know the solution or be able to pinpoint the cause of the problem from a look at the mapset.

I've posted a small chunk of the mapset at http://www.switchbacks.com/Maps/downloads/NW_Topos_v0.01.zip (I've also attached it to this message).  This is the tile that contains the Seattle area.  The biggest issue I'm encountering is a failure of Puget Sound to render.  They polygons comprising the Sound are attributed as ocean (type hex of 0x28), but the area is not rendering as ocean in Mapsource (I've haven't checked yet to see if the same issue is present when loaded to the GPS, but expect that it would be so).  I've looked at other mapsets for the area available here and they exhibit the same behavior - no Puget Sound.  I've tried merging the overlapping ocean polygons obtained from NHD hydro data, splitting them up into smaller chunks, hand-editing the border to remove potential conflicts, etc. but have had no success.  Any thoughts?

A second issue I'm having (possibly related to the above) is that I am seeing "unknown area" when hovering over areas of the map that do not contain an area polygon (i.e. undesignated land).  Other mapsets I have been examining do not read "unknown area" in these cases, but instead just show up blank (i.e. no label when the cursor hovers over them).  What setting is needed to achieve this latter behavior?

Lastly, no matter how careful I think I am at aligning the borders of my map tiles, my roads, contours, area borders, etc. all display a gap or break at the tile boundaries.  Is there a trick to overcoming this?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Jon

Indrid Cold

What software are you using to combine/cut the map segments? Guessing some version of Global Mapper?

Moun10Bike

I'm using ArcGIS for merging the separate pieces as well as splitting them out into smaller chunks; I use Global Mapper for the hand editing of borders.

Moun10Bike

I was able to solve the problem of Puget Sound not displaying by changing the ocean (type code 0x28) to lake (type code 0x3C).  It looks like cGPSmapper (I assume) might have trouble compiling ocean, at least when it is full of passages and bays like the Puget Sound.  I see that everyone has encountered this problem, as the lack of water in the Sound is seen in all of the mapsets on here, from Ibycus's street maps to the various topo maps.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Moun10Bike on August 12, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
I was able to solve the problem of Puget Sound not displaying by changing the ocean (type code 0x28) to lake (type code 0x3C).  It looks like cGPSmapper (I assume) might have trouble compiling ocean, at least when it is full of passages and bays like the Puget Sound.  I see that everyone has encountered this problem, as the lack of water in the Sound is seen in all of the mapsets on here, from Ibycus's street maps to the various topo maps.
Something is going on... The Ocean/Sea is displayed in the lowest bit level, but in the highest one it is only showing on the Western border of your maptile. It looks like it's being covered up with some object of an "Unknown Area"...

Looking at the corner borders of the maptile, it looks like the data isn't making it to the border. I think I remember reading a thread from Roger Edrinn about that on the Global Mapper forums... Will have to give that a search.