GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Convert a Garmin img file to GPX

Started by wtrskinut1, October 15, 2019, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtrskinut1

I am sure this is easy for someone with the knowledge. I am having a hard time figuring out how to convert the img file that is created on map installs to a gpx or other format. or maybe it is not possible.

Thanks in advance

[email protected]

I recently successful loaded the Montana topo map from this site onto my Garmin gps device.  I access this map through Garmin Basecamp when my gps device is connected to my computer.  I wonder if there is a way to arrange to access the Montana map on my computer when the Garmin gps device is not connected to the computer --- the same way I access the topo maps from this site for states like Wyoming, Utah, Alaska, and Idaho.  That is, access the maps using Basecamp (or some other means) when the gps device is not connected to the computer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boyd

There's no simple way to permanently install this kind of map on your computer. However, you can simply copy the entire contents of your Montana to a USB flash drive. Basecamp will treat that flash drive exactly the same as the real GPS. Or if you computer has an SD card slot, you could copy the Montana to that.

Now, on the Macintosh you could use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the Montana and that would also be treated exactly the same as the real Montana. Windows does not have a comparable program, but you could use a RAM Disk program.

Have a look at this: http://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

The same site also has some other excellent free software that every Garmin owner should have - specifically Javawa Device Manager and GMTK.

[email protected]

Thanks, Boyd.  I'm using a Mac, so I'll follow your suggestion.