GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit -- is it possible to select and/or delete a layer?

Started by RCinSTP, July 24, 2017, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCinSTP

Is it possible to select a specific layer in GPSMapEdit? Is it possible to delete a layer?

popej

What do you expect by these actions?

There is no layers in Garmin's map, the closest thing would be levels, which are kind of predefined resolution or simplification of a map. You can insert, delete or edit level's properties in menu File -> Map Properties -> Levels.

RCinSTP

When I import shapefiles into GPSMapEdit I need to make a plan in advance and add the bottom layer first, then the next layer and I import the shapefile that I want as the top layer last.  However, if I make a mistake, I need to delete the GPSMapEdit file and start over.

I would like to add layers and then be able to change the order of the layers, move them up or down and delete specific layers.  I there another software program that can do this which works with Polish Format .mp files?

Boyd

I don't understand what you are trying to do either. I don't use GPSMapEdit much, I still use my old copy of GlobalMapper (which is expensive GIS software).

You could take a look at Mapwel as an alternative, it's an all-in-one program that can directly compile .img files (if you want). I have a copy but have not used it in a long time. But it will import shapefiles and there is a free trial version: http://www.mapwel.eu

RCinSTP

What I  am trying to do is import many shapefiles into GPSMapEdit and make a map.  The problem is that all the shapefiles must be added in the correct order from bottom to top.  As far as I can tell there is no way to re-order the shapefiles/layers or delete specific shapefiles/layer.

popej

Does your layers contain specific object types? Like for example one layer with parcels and second layer with buildings, where you want buildings to be drawn over parcels?

In this case, loading shp layers into GPSMapEdit merges all data into single layer. You have no direct control, which objects are drawn on top. To make your map look correct in GPS, you should design a TYP file, which contains graphics properties of objects including draw order for different area types.

RCinSTP

Thanks, I knew the .typ file controlled style but I didn't realize it could control draw order. That way, I can just import all the shapefiles and specify the draw order in the .typ file.

Boyd

Yes, that is the way to do it. However you can only control draw order for polygons. Lines and points are "hard-wired" and always draw on top of polygons. This is usually what you want anyway, although when I make my maps I want the waterbodies to draw on top of the contour lines and streams. This can't be done in Garmin's format (AFAIK) without using a separate map overlay.

RCinSTP

Is there a limit on the number of polygons that can be imported into GPSMapEdit?   I am tempted to switch to Mapwel but the version that exports to Garmin .img format costs $90 and I don't use it enough to justify that price.

popej

The number of objects for GPSMapEdit is limited by available memory, which is about 2GB for 32-bit executable. I think it is still more than could be contained in a single img tile.