GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Software to cut up maps

Started by Thunderbolr, April 28, 2017, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderbolr

Hi everyone.    I don't know exactly how to word this, but is there a software that cuts up maps to upload to the garmin . I have an old garmin E trex legend h .   It only allows 8 MB  of memory.       I have an area I have been wanting to upload to my garmin, but I don't have enough room for 2 sections of the map, and my targeted area is pretty much smack dab in the middle.     Is the any software that would allow me to crop an area I want to upload or allow me to adjust the area I wanna upload to the garmin.   Sorry so long winded.   Any help or advise is greatly appreciate.  And no, getting a new garmin is not possible at this time. Thx you

Boyd

Garmin maps consist of many segments (sometimes called tiles) and there is no standard size for these, it is up to the author of the map. Generally speaking, older maps may have smaller segments because old devices (like yours) had small amounts of memory.

As a user, about all you can do is select a smaller part of the map in Mapsource or MapInstall. Look for other maps of the same area, some of them may have smaller segments.

Chopping an existing map into smaller pieces would require the author's source files and you would have to completely re-compile it. There may be some hacks that work in some cases, but the policy of GPSFileDepot has always been to discourage people from modifying the work of another mapmaker.

GPSFileDepot member Popej has made some simplified maps to use on Garmin's Fenix watch. Perhaps they would be worth a look? https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/663/

Thunderbolr

Thank for your response.   Appreciate it