GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Re-index maps on Basecamp?

Started by coldfusioncows, March 20, 2017, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfusioncows

Short version:  Basecamp on my PC seems to be screwed up for recognizing and using 3rd party maps that I installed manually on my Garmin 64s.  How do I get Basecamp to forget that it knows anything about the maps on my 64s device so it can discover them brand new?

Longer version:

I've been struggling a lot with getting 3rd party maps put on my Garmin 64s.  I went through some iterations where I was trying to use a 64gb card (didn't work),  reformat it in FAT32 (still didn't work),  and finally gave up and bought a 32gb card.  At one point while doing this,  I had two 3rd party maps on both the device itself as well as on the 32gb card,  I had the device plugged into my computer and tried to start up Basecamp.  Lots of system lag,  lots of hourglass waiting icons,  finally I gave up,  and detached the 64s from the computer.  This seemed to make things run fine again,  but I now have the current problem:  I can have the 3rd party maps installed on the device,  and everything more or less works,  the device recognizes them and can use them,  and so can Basecamp when the device is attached to the computer. 

Putting the maps on the card,  putting that card in the device,  then attaching it to the computer and starting up Basecamp causes problems.  When I try to use that map in Basecamp,  I get an error message,  and then that map disappears off the list of available maps in the dropdown menu. 

I *think* what is going on here is that there is that Basecamp has done some sort of import or indexing procedure on those two maps,  and now only expects them to be on the device,  rather than on the card in the device,  and I can't make Basecamp re-index the maps. 

Here are some things I've tried:
- uninstalling Basecamp and reinstalling Basecamp.   Same problem.
- renaming the 2 third party map file names.  No dice.

Things I haven't yet tried:
- Returning the device to REI,  getting a new one,  and starting out with the maps installed on the memory card
- Trying a different memory card
- Do a clean install of Windows to remove all traces of Basecamp

So I *think* what I want to do is make Basecamp forget it ever knew anything about my device,  or any maps on it,  but if I'm reading the situation wrong,  I'm open to any advice.

Thanks!

Boyd

Basecamp uses a cache to speed up map drawing. You can clear it by typing control-G control-G. I don't think that is related to your problem, but you can try.

As for the rest, I don't know, but suggest that you download the following two free programs which I've found to be really useful for managing Garmin maps on both your computer and device.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Don't have time to go into the details, but these programs have several functions that should help diagnose and probably fix your problems.

coldfusioncows

Hooray!

That did it.  I knew about the GMTK,  but didn't know about the Device Manager.

After playing around with it,  I discovered the "Delete GarminDevice.xml" feature.  After running that Basecamp re-discovered my device,  re-indexed the maps,  and I've been good to go ever since,  easily moving maps back and forth between the device and the card,  and everything just works. 

Thanks much!

Boyd