GPSFileDepot.com

Loading Garmin Topo maps .imgs into Mapsource

Started by B_man, January 09, 2017, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_man

Hi peeps, I have an .img  Garmin topo map of Aus/NZ, I'd like to view with Mapsource/Basecamp.

The maps load onto GPS units fine but I'm unable to get them on my computer.

Theres an excellent tutorial explaining how to do just this on this website. I have followed it to the letter, downloading both the MapsetToolkitV1.77 and cGPSMapper. The img file is named the standard gmapsupp.img so ive saved a copy of this with an 8 digit numerical number for the toolkit to recognise.

I enter all the parameters as shown on the tutorial but it fails to convert every time. Is there something I am doing wrong? All i have is the img file, and I set the map directory to the location of that file. Is it possible Garmin have blocked it so it cant be loaded onto the comp?

I'd really like to have it as a map option in mapsource or basecamp as its far more detailed then any maps I currently have there.

Following the tutorial it looks like a relatively straight forward process and its exactly what I'm trying to do, so cant for the life of me work out whats going wrong.

Looking forward to some advice.
B_man

B_man

So I managed to find a way to do it myself using the gmaptool program. Not sure why this step was necessary but it worked. Yus, kicking goals.