GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

John M's US Topo Maps

Started by ScrugneysGundogs, July 09, 2009, 06:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScrugneysGundogs

First of all, let me say, "Thank You"! Many months ago I was searching the web for topo maps of CT for my Garmin Nuvi. All I could find were MA & ME for my general area. I tried the search again the other day and much to my surprize (and pleasure :) ) I found your maps of not only CT, but the whole US! Sweet!

I downloaded the whole set, and now I have one question and/or request: Is there a "basemap" of the whole US that can be used with the whole collection? (It's been awhile) but I vaguely remember using a program (GPSMapper?) that links the detailed maps to the overall view "basemap" so they can all be used together, instead of by region?

I hope my question makes sense, as I only dabbled in this once and I'm not sure of the nomenclature.

Thanks,
-Chuck

jbcnbama

I'd also like to thank John M (and others) for spending what must have been weeks compiling all of that data into a very detailed and extremely useful map of the SE.  I spent a couple of nights gathering data to create a map of Alabama before I noticed the "Custom Maps" link.  Anyway, I realize it was a lot of work and I appreciate your willingness to share it with the world.

I have a question about adding detail to the SEUSA map.  I have some trails and tracks that I suppose I could add as an overlay, but I'd really like to add the detail directly to the img files.  I found and opened  the individual img file that details the area I'm working with in gpsmapedit.  I inserted the gpx data, converted the trails to polylines, etc.  I had to convert the img file back to an .mp file and then export again as an img file (with cgpsmapper) with the same name.  I saved the original img file in another folder in case something happened and exported the img file directly to the SEUSA folder.  I opened Mapsource, selected the SEUSA map, zoomed into the area I was working with, and now all of my new information was there.

The problem comes when I try to export the map to my GPSr.  It creates the mapset and thinks for a minute or so and then gives me an error that the map is 100 MB and only 120 MB is available.  This doesn't make any sense because the available space is clearly higher than the map size.

If I replace the original img file, I can export the same map with no problem.

So is there some information in the TDB or overview img files that require the img files to all have the same created dates?  That's the only difference I can see between the old file and new file other than the size of the new file being 2k higher.

-Oz-

Remake the previews using info from this: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

Also, make sure you have enough hard drive space.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

ScrugneysGundogs

I just tried the procedure and got an error reading from some memory address. I don't think my machine is beefy enough to process those files!

-Oz-

That is probably true.  My laptop wasn't able to do it either.

Maybe John_M can build in your changes.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

jbcnbama

I'll try to re process and let you know what happens.  I don't think I'll ask John M to add my changes.  I just want to add some trails on private land along with the land boundaries.  If this doesn't work, I'll make a transparent overlay.  I actually tried that first, but I must have done something wrong with the levels because the trails were only visible when the map was zoomed out greater than a mile or so.  Thanks.

ScrugneysGundogs

Just checking in. I was wondering if anyone gave it a try?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: ScrugneysGundogs on August 23, 2009, 02:01:36 PM
Just checking in. I was wondering if anyone gave it a try?
Other than the NE TOPO's, installers have been made for the other sets. We'll have to see if John will make them for the NE area.