GPSFileDepot.com

USGS NHD water data collection from part 3 of Dan Blomberg's How to Create TOPO

Started by delruner, May 10, 2015, 12:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delruner

When I downloaded the 100K quadrant spreadsheet for State of Georgia I am having trouble identifying the first 100K quadrant for water data collection in part 3 of Dan Blomberg's tutorial. My first quadrant for Georgia is Lake City. How do I find that on the USGS map? Is that Lake City, GA or is there away to lookup quads by name on the map itself? Can anyone provide an example or a way I may better understand this step of collecting the required data. Thanks

Seldom

Which software are you using?  Many of them have query options, and many will insert the data using the coordinates of the map segment.

delruner

Just trying to follow the tutorial which uses the USGS National Map Viewer to select 100 K quads and download the Hydography-Shapefile to get the NHD data. These data files get feed into PostGIS for processing the water data. For the state of Georgia I have 46 - 100K quads to collect,  so identifying them on the USGS National Map is my challenge.  quadname : Lake City is the 1st one... the Marianna is the second, Bainbridge is the third etc. etc.  the spreadsheet is acquired form the gpsfiledepot.com/articles/100k-quad-lists-and-dem-links-for-each-state. I am not sure how to identify the quad name on the map.

Indrid Cold

You want to have the 100k topo names displayed on the map, I found Lake City fairly fast:

(click image to supersize it)

Also, you can search the attribute table of the shapefile I attached with:
QUAD_NAME = 'Lake City'

delruner

Thank you for the clarification and the screenshot that was very helpful.