News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 450 vs Older GPS V

Started by dietersrover, March 09, 2015, 08:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dietersrover

Hello all.
I still have my GPS V, and It seems like I consistently get accuracy down to 7ft with WAAS.
And on my 450 the best is around 11-12ft.
I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just trying to understand why the difference.
Thanks

Boyd

Those numbers are known as EPE (Estimated Positional Error) and should not be interpreted in absolute terms. It's very possible that your older GPS uses a different algorithm to calculate the number. See the discussion here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/14680/redirect/p1

If you want to really compare devices, do some tests. Place both next to each other with a clear sky view and set them to record track points every second. Then look at the data and see which has a tighter pattern.

The newer chips are much better at acquiring and keeping a satellite lock though. I had a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 back around 2003. It would lose the satellites when driving down a tree-covered road or in a downtown area with big buildings. The new chips rarely have these problems.

popej

Quote from: dietersrover on March 09, 2015, 08:31:46 AM
I still have my GPS V, and It seems like I consistently get accuracy down to 7ft with WAAS.
And on my 450 the best is around 11-12ft.
I think new devices aren't optimized for static measurements. Try to record tracks when moving and then compare results on a map.

dietersrover

Thanks for the reply's. I will try your recommendations. I also, thought maybe it had some to do with the antenna's. The GPS V has an external one. Could it have something to do with the gain?